20 and never had a girlfriend Watch

2scotty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi! I'm 20 and i've never had a girlfriend.

I've never had any confidence. People say I look alright and I think I seem like a nice person and I can be funny/have a laugh, but I just feel shy about it all... like asking someone out. There was someone I really liked for ages but I found out she had a boyfriend. It'd have just been awkward and embarrassing if I asked her out!

I don't like being alone. I'm not scared of the dark or anything haha but I just like having company. Like even if i'm at home alone and watching the telly, i'll sit the cat next to me. Whenever I move out in the future, I just don't want to be alone. I don't want to be sat in a room with just nothing... no voices.

I went to London recently with some friends. Their boyfriends/girlfriends were waiting outside the train station for them ready to take them home. I got on the bus, was sat by myself and I just felt miserable.

I've never really had anyone say that they like me. The only people who have said anything was some jokey older lady I was serving (probably about 80?!). I was on the tills where I work (Marks & Spencer) and she was really friendly and quite funny, at the end, she looked close at my namebadge and said "Oo I'll remember your name. You're good looking aren't you" then as she walked off smiling she said "if only I were younger!". I couldn't stop laughing. That's the only interest I get.

I don't really go places where I'd meet people though. At Uni (a local one) they're all way out of my league and I'm not really someone who would go out nightclubbing. I'm only 5'8" as well. Women like tall guys don't they?

In the future, I don't want to be a little old man sat on my own... I want a long lasting relationship and for my retirement years to be like this...!

CryptoidAlien
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm 23 and been single for 3 years. I feel your pain. Although I only have myself to blame as i suffer from terrible anxiety and panic attacks.
Billa Bong
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well nothins gonna happen by itself dude, you gotta make an effort...join clubs, societies, anything which will involve interacting with different members of the opposite sex...i mean it would be perfect if a girl made the first move if she like the look of you but that rarely ever happens so you gotta work on your confidence and mingle with the opposite sex more and get comfortable with them
Bubzeh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm going on the assumption that you're not a wum. I'd trim your hair a little and try and grow a slight bear. That should give us a good start.

Next, I'd do your best to get out and at em'- try and pick up a girl in an unlikely place by simply asking for their number. And nahhh not out clubbing. I only skim read your post but I saw the word UNI so that means you get to hang around at libraries for instance. There can be some good success in those places.
mxliss
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 2scotty)
Hi! I'm 20 and i've never had a girlfriend.

I've never had any confidence. People say I look alright and I think I seem like a nice person and I can be funny/have a laugh, but I just feel shy about it all... like asking someone out. There was someone I really liked for ages but I found out she had a boyfriend. It'd have just been awkward and embarrassing if I asked her out!
Aw, you sound like a nice person. I know it's really difficult, but try and gain more confidence (It's really hard I know. I'm currently trying to do the same thing in fact.)
Try to get out of your comfort zone more, that my help you develop your confidence a little. That way next time you like a girl you can just go for it

I don't like being alone. I'm not scared of the dark or anything haha but I just like having company. Like even if i'm at home alone and watching the telly, i'll sit the cat next to me. Whenever I move out in the future, I just don't want to be alone. I don't want to be sat in a room with just nothing... no voices.
I totally understand how you feel. Loneliness can be very painful at times. When you're feeling lonely, maybe message some friends or family? It's not the same as a girlfriend, but it could be passable for now.
You won't be all alone forever though. You'll find someone that you're really happy with.

I don't really go places where I'd meet people though. At Uni (a local one) they're all way out of my league and I'm not really someone who would go out nightclubbing. I'm only 5'8" as well. Women like tall guys don't they?
Maybe try and go to more? Or maybe try going to social places the revolve around your hobbies. What do you like to do? Are there any clubs/communities that are into the same thing?
And not all women like tall guys. It really does depend on the person. So try not to worry too much about your height.

I know my advice probably didn't help all that much, but I hope you find someone to grow old with, OP. :lol:
Good luck.
Cammy150
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Billa Bong)
well nothins gonna happen by itself dude, you gotta make an effort...join clubs, societies, anything which will involve interacting with different members of the opposite sex...i mean it would be perfect if a girl made the first move if she like the look of you but that rarely ever happens so you gotta work on your confidence and mingle with the opposite sex more and get comfortable with them
This guy is right. Girls will never make the first move!
billybigb0llocks
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well that sucks.......

why not make yourself feel better and post in one of my threads...
Bubzeh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by billybigb0llocks)
well that sucks.......

why not make yourself feel better and post in one of my threads...
Hahaha well done.
TheGalwayGirl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well at least you're hot, that's always going to help... sorry that was a just little direct i just shocked myself there
Bubzeh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kath_igidbashian)
well at least you're hot, that's always going to help... sorry that was a just little direct i just shocked myself there
Well there you both go. Private message him your picture and you'll both take it from there.

Enjoy
addylad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bubzeh)
Well there you both go. Private message him your picture and you'll both take it from there.

Enjoy
Good arrow shot Cupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
EonBlueApocalypse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Got to put yourself out there, you've got to take the initiative with women, they won't come to you. Build your confidence by starting out small, talk with women everywhere even ones your not interested in (e.g. women serving you at a shop, asking good looking girls for directions etc). Go out to places where you can get involved with women, clubs, bars, nightclubs wherever. You're height is not an excuse, I'm 5ft 8 and have never had a problem attracting women, it's a non-issue unless you make it one yourself. All about confidence, a bit of teasing helps as well.
UnknownError
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Stop moaning about it and go out and get one literally get out of your house walk down to the nearest bar/nightclub/bingo hall and pull man. Got too grab your balls and swim deep. Real deep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yepyep
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go up to girls, just start off asking for the time. After you've asked a few girls that then ask a few for directions or something else easy. Then just say hi and your name. Take some baby steps. I love a man with confidence and we can see it in your approach.
Vikki1805
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The more relationships I have, the more awesome I realise my dog is.

You're probably already one step ahead by realising your pet is good company.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (698)
80.51%
Leave (169)
19.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed