The Student Room Group

History or Chemistry at university?

Straight to the point; I like both history and biology/chemistry, and was initially going to apply for...

Durham (5th) Biological Sciences AAA
York (7th) Biochemistry AAB
Manchester (10th) Chemistry ABB
Sheffield (12th) Chemistry ABB
Nottingham (14th) Chemistry ABB

(Brackets indicating the position of the university in the subject's league tables)

but now I'm having second thoughts about whether or not I'll regret doing History- in all honesty I enjoy it more and am more interested in it. However, sciences are easier to get into at university and there is less competition (also, it's not like I don't enjoy them at all.)

If I chose to study history my choices would be...

Durham (2nd) Ancient and Modern Hist. AAA
Warwick (6th) History AAA
York (13th) History AAA
Exeter (8th) History AAB
Nottingham (14th) German Cultural Studies & Hist. ABB

(Brackets indicating the position of the university in the subject's league tables)

GCSES; 1 A*, 5 As, 5 Bs and 2 Cs.
My AS levels are; History A, German A, Biology B, Chemistry B.
My predicted grades for this year are; History A*, Biology A, Chemistry A.

So my questions; 1. Are these realistic targets for me? Will I get offers? and 2; Should I do history or chemistry? considering enjoyment, career prospects, prestige of university etc. It seems like there is more room for error when applying to chemistry as it's easier to get into..

All feedback appreciated.
Reply 1
Hey :smile: Well done for the excellent AS grades, and of course you'll get offers! If you're predicted A*AA, that means you exceed all of them entry requirements. Personally, I'd say you should trust your abilities and go for History - since it's the one you enjoy more, rather than doing Chemistry which you say is easier to get into. Another thing you can consider is a joint honours in History and Chemistry (I'm sure you can find this combination somewhere, since there are so many different combinations of joint/combined honours) if you enjoy both of them.
Reply 2
Go for History IMO
Reply 3
Original post by Mimi95
Another thing you can consider is a joint honours in History and Chemistry (I'm sure you can find this combination somewhere, since there are so many different combinations of joint/combined honours) if you enjoy both of them.

Given my inability to find any joint honours courses in economics and chemistry when I was considering both, I'm not so sure the same won't apply here, unfortunately. :/

Anyway, I generally agree with the above advice. You need to go for what you're really passionate about, what you want to study for 3+ years. I would completely disregard the relative ease of getting in - that is a terrible reason to pick one course over another, imo.

Try reading texts at between A level and undergrad level and see what you think, e.g. Why Chemical Reactions Happen. Mitochondria and the Meaning of Life is also a pretty nice biology/biochem leaning one!
If you really can't decide then its worth waiting until you are. This avoids starting at Uni, and instantly regretting it. A year out to do some calm clear thinking would be enormously worthwhile.

You need to do some reading about what each course at each Uni actually consists of. No two Chemistry or History courses will be exactly the same. Read the detailed optional unit description for all of the three years on each course.

League Tables are no way to choose which Uni you will spend three years at. See the 'sticky' at the top of this page for info on this simple issue. Just because 'its at Durham' doesnt mean its a course that you will enjoy doing for three years.

Suggest you also do some reading about what both these subjects are about at University level. I recommend this for History : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Studying-History-Palgrave-Study-Skills/dp/1403987343 and I'm sure others could suggest some similar for Chemistry.

Think carefully - three years is a long time to be at the wrong Uni, or doing a subject you've lost enthusiasm for or a course that includes nothing that interests you.

Quick Reply

Latest