Turn on thread page Beta

job you love or job that pays well ?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    which is better

going to uni and getting a job that you don't mind doing but that pays really well

or a job that you really love that pays quite bad ??

ReputationRep:
    Job satisfaction has always ranked higher on my list of priorities than salary.

When i'm 40 or 50, I want to look back on my career and think of all the great times I had and all the fantastic people I met. I want to know that I did something I truly enjoyed. Money will always come and go for me - when I'm retired all I'll need a nice lump sum of savings and a good pension to keep me going. I won't need a jet ski or a yacht or a mansion - just good friends, a loving family and fantastic memories of my life.

There's nothing quite like actually looking forward to get into work - sad, but true.

Then again, that's just me. I can certainly see the appeal of being an investment banker or something similar. Work your butt off and retire with a few millions in the bank at the ripe old age of 40/50. Not bad at all.

Depends on what you want in life.

ReputationRep:
    I've worked in jobs that I've hated and I'm currently in a job I love. Having known both, I'd say that I'd much rather have an enjoyable job than a high salary. Why make yourself miserable for 40 hours a week just so that you can have a flash car? It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

ReputationRep:
    ill get back to you OP. don't know the answer yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A job you enjoy is more important in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Job you love, UNLESS;

- The bad pay is not sufficient to support you / your family, with a small amount of luxuries.
    - The good pay is enough that you can retire early and never have to work again.
    - The 'okay' job is something you don't love, but is still worthwhile (eg. cancer genetics), so you haven't wasted your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    Job satisfaction has always ranked higher on my list of priorities than salary.

When i'm 40 or 50, I want to look back on my career and think of all the great times I had and all the fantastic people I met. I want to know that I did something I truly enjoyed. Money will always come and go for me - when I'm retired all I'll need a nice lump sum of savings and a good pension to keep me going. I won't need a jet ski or a yacht or a mansion - just good friends, a loving family and fantastic memories of my life.

There's nothing quite like actually looking forward to get into work - sad, but true.

Then again, that's just me. I can certainly see the appeal of being an investment banker or something similar. Work your butt off and retire with a few millions in the bank at the ripe old age of 40/50. Not bad at all.

Depends on what you want in life.
    40/50? That's most of your life feeling miserable doing something you did not like. And just to be able to spend 20/40 years spending more money than you what you will ever use? Also, 30/40 years on working on something you don't like sounds like a recipe for unhappiness, anxiety, depression and an array of mental illnesses.

ReputationRep:
    Job that you love that pays crap.

You can adjust your life to spend only what you've got but you can't make happiness appear out of nowhere when you're so depressed about your job.

ReputationRep:
    Why not both? I want to do medicine, which I will love as I literally can't wait to start med school and it's also pretty well paid

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Satisfaction over pay here.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I rather have a job that pays well.

ReputationRep:
    job satisfaction over pay nay day of the week

Job you love.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Job you enjoy, though the two aren't mutually exclusive!

(Original post by Hummi_C)
    Why not both? I want to do medicine, which I will love as I literally can't wait to start med school and it's also pretty well paid

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends on persepctive, I know people who genuinely struggle to understand how anyone surviives on less than 60/70k a year, and don't call it 'well paid' until you hit the triple ton!

ReputationRep:
    bit of both. job satisfaction is important but it still has to pay the bills and put food on the table.

ReputationRep:
    A job you love is important, but if that job can't support me, and I don't have enough money to live off then it isn't worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I worked as a HCA for nine months and the pay was awesome, especially at nights and weekends. However I quit because i didn't enjoy the job, after 7months, i kinda hated it. It just wasn't for me.

So i guess job satisfaction is at the top of my list :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for a job that pays well if the other job I loved didn't pay enough

ReputationRep:
    Job I love for sure. As long as I have somewhere to live and enough money for the essentials like food, clothes etc.

I just wanna do a job that helps out other people I think life is all about the people you meet, not the stuff in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hummi_C)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This. I've just started med school, but already can't wait to work as a doctor. Even with crappy hours, I'll love it.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.