Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    edit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suitable)
    Just got a couple of questions about getting and going on work experience in pharmacies.

1) Will i need to get work experience at both a hospital pharmacy and a community pharmacy? Will it lessen my chances of getting in if i don't?
    2) How do you arrange work experience at a hospital pharmacy? because with my local community pharmacy i presume i could call them or just ask whether there was any way to arrange it, but i don't know how i would do this with a hospital pharmacy.
    3) My college if offering me work placements at Red x pharma or unilever, will these benefit me into getting onto a pharmacy degree?

Thank you in advance.
    1) You don't "need" to, it will obviously be good for your application but you're not going to be rejected solely because you don't have work experience
    2) Do you know anyone that works in a hospital? If you do get them to ask the pharmacy about work experience for you. Bear in mind though that community pharmacy chains are unlikely to take you due to confidentiality issues- you're better trying for the smaller independent ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suitable)
    Just got a couple of questions about getting and going on work experience in pharmacies.

1) Will i need to get work experience at both a hospital pharmacy and a community pharmacy? Will it lessen my chances of getting in if i don't?
    2) How do you arrange work experience at a hospital pharmacy? because with my local community pharmacy i presume i could call them or just ask whether there was any way to arrange it, but i don't know how i would do this with a hospital pharmacy.
    3) My college if offering me work placements at Red x pharma or unilever, will these benefit me into getting onto a pharmacy degree?

Thank you in advance.

1) It looks better on applications if students have had work experience in a pharmacy. I've done one week of community pharmacy and I feel like I should have done more. Having both community and hospital will make you stand out since most people just do community.

2) I rang my local pharmacy and had to drop a CV off. It's difficult to find work experience and universities appreciate this, but it's not impossible. Some hospitals will have online forms to fill in for work experience but ringing up the hospital will probably be better as they'll advise you as to what to do. To be honest ,you don't have to be in the pharmacy department in the hospital, getting the normal hospital work experience will be just as good.

3) Anything like that will benefit you as it makes you stand out. Try to do as much as you can and then you can mention it on your personal statement.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 20, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.