The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

fresher's problem

Hi, I'm looking for advice from students that have been studying at SOAS for a while. This problem is not about SOAS only but about studying in general. I'm a fresher and I have never studied before. Even though my high school was demanding, I feel like I have literally no time for anything at uni, besides sleeping, eating and studying. I have 13 hours per week and when I come home, I need to do readings (manage to do only the essentials), take notes and write essays. I'm not writing this to moan that I can't party all week long but I actually hoped to keep on learning some additional languages and maybe signing up to some dance classes and I see no possibility. On weekends I either have to work or I'm too exhausted to move from my bed.
As I said, this is not a vent, I am looking for an objective advice, maybe some of you have any tips on how to manage your time even more efficiently than what seems to be obvious... I really don't want to give up on all my hobbies in favor of pursuing an academic degree only.
Cheers!
Original post by koloryczerni
Hi, I'm looking for advice from students that have been studying at SOAS for a while. This problem is not about SOAS only but about studying in general. I'm a fresher and I have never studied before. Even though my high school was demanding, I feel like I have literally no time for anything at uni, besides sleeping, eating and studying. I have 13 hours per week and when I come home, I need to do readings (manage to do only the essentials), take notes and write essays. I'm not writing this to moan that I can't party all week long but I actually hoped to keep on learning some additional languages and maybe signing up to some dance classes and I see no possibility. On weekends I either have to work or I'm too exhausted to move from my bed.
As I said, this is not a vent, I am looking for an objective advice, maybe some of you have any tips on how to manage your time even more efficiently than what seems to be obvious... I really don't want to give up on all my hobbies in favor of pursuing an academic degree only.
Cheers!

Hi,

Don't go to SOAS but am in my 4th year at a different uni with a 78% average so far so feel like i could help.

It's all about time management tbh. If you set aside a few hours on a set day for a set hobbie then make sure you do it. By planning this it makes you work harder/faster on the essays etc beforehand and then you can relax and do your dance classes with the knowledge your work is done.

Also, It's tough to concentrate and woprk straight all the time at the weekend. People often find themselves more productive when they have breaks. Call Saturday 12 hours from 9-9. You could easily work for a few in the morning then go to a dance class then lunch then still have hours more and you'll be refreshed and ready to attack your work.

I do thing every other day in addition to my uini work and i find it really helps. The people i know who just try and work 24/7 often burn out and then get even less done.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
So if you're only doing the essential readings that should be 8-12 per week - which should only take one full day or so? (8 hours or thereabouts) What's your timetable like? Do you have a day off in the week? I'm in final year on a readings-heavy course and manage ok.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending