The Student Room Group

Should the UK higher the age for learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Architecture-er
Well I suppose more will turn to mopeds, so I guess we can just wait for the reckless ones to get killed off in less-weighty vehicles where they won't make so much mess

thats if they dont change the rules for mopeds. they may increase it to 18 or 19. i doubt most people think a moped is a substitute anyway
Original post by 345rty
Basically 17 year olds are just like 18 year olds who are just like 19 year olds etc etc, however the relative risk of the 25 year old smashing their car is somehow much lower....

Age as a predictor of risk works, I fully agree that its not perfect but it, in conjunction with length of driving experience, is the best we have in my understanding.

Yes, the length of driving experience is important but it does not matter at what age one statrs.
Age doesn't really make much difference, to be honest. The only thing I could suggest would be to make Pass Plus, or some kind of post-test observation, compulsory - I think a lot of these accidents happen when people (of varying age) pass their tests, realise they don't have anyone watching them drive any more and go a bit bonkers. If you knew that 3 months down the line or something you'd have to be watched again to see whether you'd stayed a safe driver after your test, then it might encourage people to not drop the habits of driving safely. I did something similar (did my test last May and then Pass Plus in the September) and I think it helped a lot.
I do think it'd ultimately be safer with the probation period they're planning accommodating more driving practise. But having just started driving lessons myself, it is a little aggravating to know it could be brought in so soon!
Reply 64
Original post by SmallDuck
Yes, the length of driving experience is important but it does not matter at what age one statrs.

If age didn't matter I'd wager that it would be apparent in the cost of providing cover, and hence competition would have driven down prices to show it...

Look at risk taking in young males in general and you seem to see a lack of risk adversity which would logically extend into driving.

And a quick google finds a pile of interesting papers on the topic...

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0001457586900412
Test
Test

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending