Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Edit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbS)
    Hi there,

After looking through the forums a bit I haven't been able to find a thread dedicated purely to HW Petroleum applicants hoping to start in September 2014 so here goes.

I've been in a financial O&G office-based role in London for just over a year now, having graduated with a BSc Geology from University Colllege London, and am hoping to be successful in applying to HW's MSc Petroleum Engineering to open a few more doors!

I've just sent all my documents off last week and it would be great to get a discussion going regarding everyone's application process and thoughts on the course they're hoping to get on.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    I am an International applicant and I have got my conditional offer almost 2 weeks ago already, so I think It wont take you long to hear back from them. Last year, all applicants were interviewed by phone, also internationals, but this year it seems they wont, as no one has called me yet. The condition of my offer is a 3500 pounds deposit to get my unconditional offer and you have to accept, defer or decline your offer within the next 4 weeks.

Are you a domestic applicant? how's been your experience in finance as your are a recent graduate from geology?

ReputationRep:
    Edit

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I've finally found the right thread for Petroleum Engineering 2014 Entrance. I recently had my interview, and was offered a conditional offer over the phone. What are your current status's?

ReputationRep:
    I already paid the 3500 pounds deposit and I have got my unconditional offer, I am just waiting for my CAS letter to make an appointment with the british embassy at home.

Btw, where are you guys from?

Good luck with you applications.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

That's great! I have yet to accept my offer. Did you also apply to Imperial?

I am from London. I'll be completing my undergraduate degree this year.

Where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by engineer4)
    Hey,

That's great! I have yet to accept my offer. Did you also apply to Imperial?

I am from London. I'll be completing my undergraduate degree this year.

Where are you from?

hey! I also applied to Imperial but havent heard back from them...how is you application going at HW? I am arriving on the 5th of august.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbS)
    Hi there,

Thanks for your response - and congratulations on the offer!

I am a domestic applicant having completed all my education in London. My experience in the finance and consulting side of the OG industry has been very interesting, but not quite to my taste.

My current 8-5 office job mainly involves looking over spreadsheets and financial documents and I'm looking to get out into the field. Ideally I would love to spend some years working on the rigs or in another more practical role for a producer.

Hi Robs!

How are you going with your application?

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oscardo)
    hey! I also applied to Imperial but havent heard back from them...how is you application going at HW? I am arriving on the 5th of august.

Good Luck!
    Hello,

I received my offer from Imperial in early January. I also have an offer from Heriot-Watt. I haven't excepted either yet, I am trying to somehow avoid the deposits and accept both! I am more lenient towards Imperial because of the name, but I know Heriot-Watt's course is just as good.

ReputationRep:
    Hi my application is complete and now being considered. I'm a chemical engineering background student. Is it gonna be hard year for me?

ReputationRep:
    just applied HW master petroleum .. waiting to hear frm thm

ReputationRep:
    I got my offer for Petroleum Geoscience and I have deposited the initial fee too.
    Just waiting for them to confirm this

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I've just submitted my application to study an MSc in Petroleum Engineering at Heriot-Watt for 2015/2016 upon completion of my BEng in Chemical Engineering.

I'm currently on a year in industry placement between my second and third years at University with a large Nuclear affiliated company in the UK undertaking a number of general engineering related tasks. My concern is that I don't have direct Oil & Gas experience and I am worried about how much this will impact my application.

I am currently averaging a 1st, I have good extra-curricular activities and I am a member of the relevant professional societies but I feel that without any relevant experience my application might suffer.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    You should probably get a life mate, zesty mango you prune, theres more to life than chem eng and dropping to your knees for professional bodies. Try getting out a bit

ReputationRep:
    Hello I am starting the Petroleum Geoscience MSc next Sept.. My question is if after accepting the offer and being accepted. Do I need to receive any physical letter or document? or I should just wait till the course starts. Thanks in advance.

PD. Feel free to contact me if you are also doing this course this year, I am looking forward to start it, share experiences and meet new people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diego1)
    Hello I am starting the Petroleum Geoscience MSc next Sept.. My question is if after accepting the offer and being accepted. Do I need to receive any physical letter or document? or I should just wait till the course starts. Thanks in advance.

PD. Feel free to contact me if you are also doing this course this year, I am looking forward to start it, share experiences and meet new people.
    As far as i know we will receive another letter online which we need to print and carry with us.Along with the letter of acceptance.Still waiting for it though.Where are you from mate?Also starting the MSc this September and cant wait for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mour7)
    As far as i know we will receive another letter online which we need to print and carry with us.Along with the letter of acceptance.Still waiting for it though.Where are you from mate?Also starting the MSc this September and cant wait for it
    I am from Spain, but I have already been living in Scotland for 2 years. I will wait for that letter. Where are you from? Thanks for your response. See you soon in Edinburgh...

ReputationRep:
    I am from Greece.Never lived in Scotland though.Do you know if there is a forum somewhere for the class of 2014?
    See you soon too mate.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know yet about any forum. I guess that it will be something when we start the course.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 27, 2014

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.