Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I graduated with a 2:1 BA (Hons) in Accounting and Finance from the University of Derby in 2012.

Went on and did the Camp America scheme after graduation and when I got back, managed to secure a graduate role at a SME accountancy practice in a city centre.

The firm I work for is currently funding my ACCA qualification and providing me with lots of work experience, in preparing statutory accounts and audit mainly, with SME businesses, sole traders and partnerships.

My questions is this:

If I complete my training contract with this current firm and manage to successfully obtain the ACCA qualification and three years work experience, do you think it would be possible to move on to a larger employer, possibly even the big 4?

I haven't got on a recognised graduate programme at one of these firms, or even firms slightly lower, because my UCAS points are low, 170.

However, because I have now managed to go in a "back way", as I'm still receiving the ACCA qualification and working in practice, albeit at a smaller firm, will it really matter?

BTW, the firm I work for, has six partners, just so you know what size I am talking about.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's possible, I work with several people with similar backgrounds, most come in as senior associate or occasionally manager. You must bear in mind that at Big 4, the vast majority of good people leave for better opportunities at some point or the other. Once you pass your qualification, your experience and skills will play a greater factor than silly UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    Yes it's possible, I work with several people with similar backgrounds, most come in as senior associate or occasionally manager. You must bear in mind that at Big 4, the vast majority of good people leave for better opportunities at some point or the other. Once you pass your qualification, your experience and skills will play a greater factor than silly UCAS points.
    How about someone such as myself who got far worse grades (third at uni and 200 UCAS)? I, too, am forging a route round the back (though I am getting my experience in industry). Whilst I won't specifically be targeting the Big 4 in the future, it'll be nice to know if I do have a chance should there be a position I'd like to go for there in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonic_dream)
    How about someone such as myself who got far worse grades (third at uni and 200 UCAS)? I, too, am forging a route round the back (though I am getting my experience in industry). Whilst I won't specifically be targeting the Big 4 in the future, it'll be nice to know if I do have a chance should there be a position I'd like to go for there in the future.
    :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    On hindsight, plough would've been my word of choice.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.