The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The Official 2014 Medicine Interview Preparation Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CasualSoul
some really good points are made there :yy:

Reply 341
I asked this question on the medicine thread but got no replies so hopefully I'll get lucky here:

Is Practice based commissioning the same as the NHS reforms? They both seem like they achieve the same aims.

So in simple terms giving GP's control over the budget or have I misinterpreted what PBC is?

Thanks!
Reply 342
Got my ISC book. Now joining you guys! Hopefully our hard work will pay off!

How are you guys preparing?
Reply 343
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Question:

Do you have empathy for patients who smoke 40 cigs a day and have clearly stated they won't be giving up any time soon?

Two sides:

Yes: May have underlying mental health conditions which make him do it. Maybe hes suicidal, wants to die slowly? He could also be misinformed about the consequences of his actions and how these will impact on the quality of his life. As a doctor you have a duty of care towards the patient and must act towards the patient's best interest therefore, not showing empathy could make you biased towards not giving him treatment so you should really be sympathetic towards him.

No: He will cause himself to have self-inflicted diseases which cost the NHS billions that could have been used for other patients. (for example those with genetic disorders). Also, time is precious and using it on patients who have no intentions of changing their habits could cause harm to the safety of patients who actually want to get better and are putting in the effort.

First interview question I have attempted lol. Such a jumble!:colone:
(edited 10 years ago)
The thing with addictions - such as the 40-a-day smoker example - is that people are often aware of the potential consequences of their actions (there are photos plastered all over cigarette packets, you'd not be able to avoid them), but the problem is they are potential consequences.
It's like, why do some drivers drive recklessly, use their phones etc.? Because, as of yet, their actions haven't had any consequences for them, therefore it is easier to ignore the potential risks. The 'it won't happen to me attitude', if you will.

Topics such as that have to be approached sensitively. You may well think what they do is stupid, but you shouldn't let that affect your treatment of them.

Going back to the 40-a-day example, being empathetic towards them may well make them feel as if they can open up to you. There's nothing worse than feeling as if you're being judged by your own doctor! If you can have a serious but open conversation with them, you may well get to a) why they do it, b) why they don't want to stop and c) get it through to them that their actions will probably have consequences further on down the line. All without feeling like you're lecturing them.
Original post by Secret.
I asked this question on the medicine thread but got no replies so hopefully I'll get lucky here:

Is Practice based commissioning the same as the NHS reforms? They both seem like they achieve the same aims.

So in simple terms giving GP's control over the budget or have I misinterpreted what PBC is?

Thanks!

The thing is I wouldn't say that the NHS reforms are only concerned with giving GPs control. Its also about increasing spending efficiency (I don't see this happening) and increasing competition with (?) private healthcare clinics - (that's what I took from it, but I never really understood how they plan on achieving this).
Not an interview question but it sort of relates:

Just wondering, you know if its a weekend so the GP surgeries around are closed but the persons injury/ illness is not so bad that they have to go to A and E I think there is some sort of NHS helpline that you can ring to get advice. Who exactly are the people that give the advice ?
(edited 10 years ago)
By the way guys, are any of you applying to MMI universities, and if so, are you prepared for a VERY different interview style to the basic question and answer style? (I had an interview at Leicester, and trust me when I say it was the weirdest 56 minutes of life!)
Original post by IonicBond1
By the way guys, are any of you applying to MMI universities, and if so, are you prepared for a VERY different interview style to the basic question and answer style? (I had an interview at Leicester, and trust me when I say it was the weirdest 56 minutes of life!)

I'm applying to Leicester :smile: I know what the stations are so hopefully if I get an interview I will know what areas to focus on! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CasualSoul
Not an interview question but it sort of relates:

Just wondering, you know if its a weekend so the GP surgeries around are closed but the persons injury/ illness is not so bad that they have to go to A and E I think there is some sort of NHS helpline that you can ring to get advice. Who exactly are the people that give the advice ?

Good question, you call 111 and when I called once , I had a nurses speaking to me :tongue:
Original post by g.k.galloway
I'm applying to Leicester :smile: I know what the stations are so hopefully if I get an interview I will know what areas to focus on! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good good!! :smile: I only say this because I notice all the questions on this thread are really for the traditional style, and MMIs use a wider range of medium. For example at one station I had to circle all the faces I saw in a picture :/ even now I don't know what that was all about!! When you say "you know what the stations are" do you mean you know what they are suppose to be testing, or do you mean you know what they will ask you to do? :smile: xx
Reply 351
Hi, has anyone tried the Ace medicine interview course? do you recommend it??
Please let me know if you've been on it
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Good question, you call 111 and when I called once , I had a nurses speaking to me :tongue:

loool

Good good!! :smile: I only say this because I notice all the questions on this thread are really for the traditional style, and MMIs use a wider range of medium. For example at one station I had to circle all the faces I saw in a picture :/ even now I don't know what that was all about!! When you say "you know what the stations are" do you mean you know what they are suppose to be testing, or do you mean you know what they will ask you to do? :smile: xx

Yeah I thought that too, I need to think about it more :smile:
Jeepers that is strange....haha
I know what they are meant to be testing for :smile:

Well thats...weird O.o Anything else u can tell us? When was ur interview? :biggrin:
Reply 355

Two of mine are MMI and I have no idea what to expect/how to prepare any advice?
Original post by FreyaCat
Two of mine are MMI and I have no idea what to expect/how to prepare any advice?

3 of mine are MMI!!
Scary! I also need advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 357
Original post by letsbehonest
3 of mine are MMI!!
Scary! I also need advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 358
Does anyone know if Barts/Queen Mary London do MMI or the normal interviews??
Apart from the introduction of clinical commissioning groups and greater hours for GPs, what other relevant things have come about from the NHS reforms?

I'm not so good on these current medical issues/NHS politics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending