The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL Music A2 2013-2014

So thought I'd post a thread for this because these threads really helped with my revision last year and thought it would be a good place to share our thoughts and notes on the set works and ideas and thoughts on the composition briefs and just generally help each other out through the year.

Feel free to post any questions/thoughts/ideas etc! I personally think I'm going to need all the help I can get!

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
How did you find AS Music? I'm considering swapping physics to musics so I'd like to hear your thoughts on how you did.
Reply 3
Original post by xxxKINGxxx
How did you find AS Music? I'm considering swapping physics to musics so I'd like to hear your thoughts on how you did.

Considering I took my AS music when I was 15 I did pretty good...I got a C then resat it and got a B. It was quite difficult but straightforward at the same time. There was a good amount of information to learn but was easy to practice for the exam because you know the questions you will be asked (not the exact question about which set work etc but enough to be able to practice!) Also in the AS you can just write in bullet points which is always good!
hope this helps
Good luck with your A levels
Alisha

Reply 4
Original post by alisha97
So thought I'd post a thread for this because these threads really helped with my revision last year and thought it would be a good place to share our thoughts and notes on the set works and ideas and thoughts on the composition briefs and just generally help each other out through the year.

Feel free to post any questions/thoughts/ideas etc! I personally think I'm going to need all the help I can get!

Hey! I'm on Edexcel too, which two compositions/technical studies are you going to do? :biggrin:

I started a general Music A-level thread but that kinda died, not enough people on here take Music :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
How are people revising the applied works? :P
I'm finding it really tough to revise for this exam, I've just been re-writing out notes from a revision guide and I don't think it's working..! I'm also majorly struggling with the listening, especially writing out the melody! Any tips for that?
Reply 7
Original post by emmakate3082
How are people revising the applied works? :P

I'd say that for each applied work there's probably only one or two questions they could ask. So for the Haydn it'd probably be something like

"Describe the features of this piece that demonstrate it was written for the name day of Princess Esterhazy." I then go through and list every point that would support this, so the large resources used, the soloists, jaunty dotted rhythms, etc. just points that make the music sound happy (obviously this is very subjective so you can put down pretty anything correct like the generally triadic lines, functional harmony, any modulations, the fugato) or that it was composed for someone who could afford a large number of players.

Original post by Alex Morison
I'm finding it really tough to revise for this exam, I've just been re-writing out notes from a revision guide and I don't think it's working..! I'm also majorly struggling with the listening, especially writing out the melody! Any tips for that?

I read, make notes on, cover, and recall the stuff from the revision guide for a very intense 15-20 minutes at a time quite a few times a day. For the listening on the first pass I'll write down all the rhythms on a piece of scrap and I'll listen for which notes are the same, then after that for major/minor seconds and perfect fourths/fifths and octaves, then I'll keep working from there. Can't really suggest else other than practising it and training relative pitch.
Reply 8
Original post by Alex Morison

one method my teacher gave for revising is to make a list of points for each piece e.g. dominant pedal, alberti bass, whole tone scale, syncopation, phrygian cadence etc then get a blank copy of each piece (like you would have in the exam), cut out each individual point and try and place all your points (make sure you use points that are actually in the piece!). Time yourself doing it and see how quick you can get it...when i have done my list of points ill share it onn here....would love to see yours too incase ive missed anything:smile:
another method she gave was to have an annotated scaore (score with notes on), listen to the piece and descibe whats going on (preferably out loud) as its being played.

as for the writing out music ive been told by several teachers that if you're getting about half the maximum marks on the example questions then you're going well!
Reply 9
Wondering if anyone can help. I got a C in my AS, whats the likelihood I could get a high B if do well in the main exam?
Reply 10
Original post by Seble
Wondering if anyone can help. I got a C in my AS, whats the likelihood I could get a high B if do well in the main exam?

Could really do with the grade boundaries to work this out but can't find them now.
When I worked out for myself the AS was 50% of the overall grade.
I got a B overall in my AS and a C in my A2 performance. I worked out if I get a C in my A2 composition (which is what I'm expecting) then I need a B(i think! But it might be C I need) in the exam to get an overall B

Hope this helps!
Reply 11
A good idea and it dm sounds obvious is to revise an hour a day... Everyday!
I'm finding it hard to that myself though... One tip, try to make yourself remember the points when you look at the score. This means you won't have to Use your memory but actually see the points and where they are on the score... I hope that makes sence!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by alisha97
Could really do with the grade boundaries to work this out but can't find them now.
When I worked out for myself the AS was 50% of the overall grade.
I got a B overall in my AS and a C in my A2 performance. I worked out if I get a C in my A2 composition (which is what I'm expecting) then I need a B(i think! But it might be C I need) in the exam to get an overall B

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I went through my results score and calculated I need a high mark in this unit 6 test which isn't likely to happen...

Does anyone have any tips for the Aural awareness, I'm terrible at it!

Also, the 13 markers. Do people tend to write bullet points or have you been taught to write full essays like I have?
(edited 9 years ago)
Could we share predictions for essay questions for the Applied Music Set Works?
Reply 14
Original post by Seble
Thanks! I went through my results score and calculated I need a high mark in this unit 6 test which isn't likely to happen...

Does anyone have any tips for the Aural awareness, I'm terrible at it!

Also, the 13 markers. Do people tend to write bullet points or have you been taught to write full essays like I have?

Sorry no tips for aural awareness other than practise practise practise! I dont think your alone being terrible at it though tbh!

As for 13 markers (applied), I have been told we can use bullet points for these but we cant for the compare and contrast. I aim to make at least 9 points with detailed examples :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Billy_O'Naire
Could we share predictions for essay questions for the Applied Music Set Works?

Of course! I'm doing a bunch of practise questions for the applied at the mo so any ideas I can add to my collection will be useful.
I'll post some of the ones i have next time im online....off to sleep!
I am aware that for the Applied Set Work essays, we should make at least 9 points, but how about the Instrumental Set Work essay? How many points do we need to make for each work?
Reply 17
Original post by Billy_O'Naire
I am aware that for the Applied Set Work essays, we should make at least 9 points, but how about the Instrumental Set Work essay? How many points do we need to make for each work?

18 points in total
Reply 18
Does anyone have any resources to help prepare for the listening section of the exam?
Can someone list the main points on Quoniam Tu Solus? It's my least favourite piece in the anthology.

Quick Reply