Turn on thread page Beta

How much do you guys recycle? watch

• View Poll Results: How much do you recycle? What materials do you recycle?
    I recycle all the time.
    47.37%
    Most of the time, but sometimes I can't be bothered or I simply forget
    36.84%
    Sometimes
    10.53%
    I never recycle.
    5.26%
    I recycle cardboard
    21.05%
    I recycle paper
    15.79%
    I give my old mobile phone away to be recycled
    5.26%
    I recycle clothing or take it to the charity shop
    10.53%
    I recycle plastic
    26.32%
    I recycle glass
    26.32%
    I recycle tin cans
    21.05%
    Rather than throwing food, I compost it or find a use if it's still edible
    15.79%
    Rather than using plastic bags, I use cotton or canvas.
    10.53%
    Other (please state)
    0%

ReputationRep:
    As title says. How much do you recycle and how often?

ReputationRep:
    I live with two other girls and a guy. We recycle a fair amount. Especially if the item is clean so can go straight in the bin, if it only takes a quick rinse then we usually do to. More messy things we might not bother with. I think what encourages us is that the only wheelie bin we have is a recycling bin. So normal rubbish goes out in plastic bin bags. So far we've managed on one bin bag full a week of waste. We see other houses put about 4 bag fulls out ! Which is good, else we would have to put it in the back garden where foxes could get at it or in the hallway where it would smell. On our road theres about 80 houses, but on recycling day I'd say less than 10 houses put the recycling bin out. Some people put it out today ! But it's only every other Wednesday, and not today !

ReputationRep:
    We recycle as much as possible, and use as much "efficient" stuff as we can, such as batteries and bulbs. We don't throw out old mobile phones; rather, we store them just incase one of our current phones is stolen, damaged, broken, then we have a spare one. I recently gutted the house of all plastic bags, and replaced them with Bags for Life, cotton and canvas bags. We recycle aluminium takeaway cartons, and reuse the plastic ones. When my younger cousin was still alive, I used to send my clothes to her, but sadly she's no longer with us so I have no one to give my old clothes to. At some point I need to dig out all my old clothing; if it's still decent, they'll go to one of the charity shops (there's plenty of them in Dover, haha), and I'm sure my mother will find a use for the fabric in some of the rest of it.

Sadly, though, it's just not possible to recycle everything, like some food packaging, or sometimes things that are able to be recycled accidently get thrown out in the general waste.

"Most of the time".

ReputationRep:
    Always.

ReputationRep:
    I'm typing this right now with 100% recycled words.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to use the same joke a few times but apart from that I don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    "recycling individually is the equivalent of turning up to an earthquake with a dustpan and brush"

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I recycle food, paper, plastic and glass in those big wheelie bins the council give you and a little food tub thing that gets taken away once a week. Sometimes I just forget and put it straight in with the normal rubbish though.

ReputationRep:
    in ireland we recycle a lot - we have a bin for recycling, one for organic waste/compost and one for regular rubbish,

cardboard and plastics go into the blue bin, compost goes in the brown and the rest into the black. Also were not quite as choosy as the UK is In birmingham we were told you cant recyle takeaway pizza boxes no such issue here thankfully

ReputationRep:
    Recycling is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemicalBond)
    As title says. How much do you recycle and how often?
    We tend to recycle a lot. We never throw away anything that can be recycle and we generally don't recycle anything that can be composted. It is only done when there is absolutely no more economic value in it.

Aluminium, plastics, tin, glass and metals are always sent for recycling after it had served it's useful economic life. We don't generally buy foods that are imported and where possible if we have to buy something imported then it should be produced in other Scandinavian countries and if that isn't an option then we buy it from Britain.

We don't buy any newspapers. We tend to minimize the purchase of books, magazines or paper based products, if we do get one then it is always recycled or used as a fire starter. Junk mail is the most common waste paper around and usually these are shredded or used in the garden as weed barriers or as fire starters.

We don't do lots of takeaways but when we do we always go with our own containers as we don't want to create garbage and the containers we use have better insulation to it that keeps the food hot for longer and doesn't stink up the car.

Food scraps, most of our food scraps are always fed to our dogs, others are placed in the compost bin.

Garden waste, we don't throw anything from our garden. Pruned branches are made into woodchips for mulch, leafs are always put in a compost bin. Grass clippings, some are sent for composting, some used as mulch, some are sent to feed livestock and some are burnt for ash. Dog waste is also collected and mixed with shredded paper and sawdust so it could compost. We have 4 compost bins, 1 is a vermi-composting where we put most fruit and vegetable scraps as well as some grains, grass and cardboard, 2 bins is purely for grass clippings and dried leafs, the final bin is one meant for dog faeces only and all my neighbours send it to my house to place in this bin, some will send some saw dust too.

Electronics, these always goes on a hand-me down, my kids get them and we haven't thrown away any tablets including the first generation iPad that is still in use in the family. Mobilephones, I get a new phone annually and my previous phone goes on a hand-me down either to one of my kids or my missus, usually there is a phone we get rid off each year if it is still in good condition then we sell it when we are visiting some family in Malaysia as there is always a market for used phones there.

ReputationRep:
    I recycle whenever I can be bothered to do so, which varies.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.