Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

I was just wondering how to make your personal staement more attractive. Ive been thinking along the lines of getting work experience in the related field-perhaps at a think tank/if possible. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this and any other ways to improve your attractiveness to universities ?Finally is there any areas people would suggest trying to gain some work experience in ie. the charity sector etc
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by rs_1888)
    Hi there

I was just wondering how to make your personal staement more attractive. Ive been thinking along the lines of getting work experience in the related field-perhaps at a think tank/if possible. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this and any other ways to improve your attractiveness to universities ?Finally is there any areas people would suggest trying to gain some work experience in ie. the charity sector etc
    You volunteer for scouting- at your local cubs, beavers or scouts group. I volunteer for girlguiding- and ive found that it looks good, you can gain a lot of skills through it which you can talk about in your personal statement (e.g. leadership, teamwork etc). You can also do several awards though scouting/girlguiding as well, such as the duke of edinburgh award, which also look good/give you things to talk about in your personal statement. You can also do things such as helping with the unit accounts etc which can help, especially if you are looking to go into those sorts of careers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    You volunteer for scouting- at your local cubs, beavers or scouts group. I volunteer for girlguiding- and ive found that it looks good, you can gain a lot of skills through it which you can talk about in your personal statement (e.g. leadership, teamwork etc). You can also do several awards though scouting/girlguiding as well, such as the duke of edinburgh award, which also look good/give you things to talk about in your personal statement. You can also do things such as helping with the unit accounts etc which can help, especially if you are looking to go into those sorts of careers.

What do you acctually do on girlguiding?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by kiara139)
    What do you acctually do on girlguiding?
    Im a leader at my local brownie group. I also helped at a rainbow group for a while- i helped set the group up and helped out until there where enough leaders. I also helped out a local guide group on a trip once.
    At brownies (and its a bit similar at rainbows and guides) we help the girls work towards badges, do fun activities, games etc. We also take them on trips out, camping, on sleepovers etc. Us leaders also have planning meetings (usually in the pub knowing us) every so often to plan what we are doing at brownies for the next term. Its good seeing the girls grow in confidence, make new friends etc.
    Through girlguiding, you can also do things like the duke of edinburgh award, the queens guide award etc.

ReputationRep:
    Or if you want something a bit more formal try the ACF, SCC or ACF. I have personally tried girl guiding and it wasn't for me. I was a cadet from 15 and joined as a staff member at 18 - I'm now 21 and loving it xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What subject are you applying for? If it is politics, then you really don't need any work experience. This is because politics is an academic, not vocational, subject. They're much more interested in whether you've done some extra reading around the subject than whether or not you've made the tea at a think tank.

Girl Guiding, DofE, etc. aren't actually that attractive to universities either. It's all very well and good if you do them because you enjoy them, but don't do them for the sake of your UCAS form.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    What subject are you applying for? If it is politics, then you really don't need any work experience. This is because politics is an academic, not vocational, subject. They're much more interested in whether you've done some extra reading around the subject than whether or not you've made the tea at a think tank.

Girl Guiding, DofE, etc. aren't actually that attractive to universities either. It's all very well and good if you do them because you enjoy them, but don't do them for the sake of your UCAS form.
    Girlguiding can actually be attractive to unis (depending on what you are applying obviously).
    I know of a couple of people who have been a leader at rainbows/brownies/guides who have gone on to to teaching at uni, and girlguiding have helped them to get in.
    Specific roles in guiding can look good as well. For example managing the unit accounts or being unit treasurer can look good if applying for finance/business type courses, and being a PRA (public relations advisor) can look good if applying to business type courses.
    There was an article in girlguiding magazine actually- but as of yet, i cant find it online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Girlguiding can actually be attractive to unis (depending on what you are applying obviously).
    I know of a couple of people who have been a leader at rainbows/brownies/guides who have gone on to to teaching at uni, and girlguiding have helped them to get in.
    Specific roles in guiding can look good as well. For example managing the unit accounts or being unit treasurer can look good if applying for finance/business type courses, and being a PRA (public relations advisor) can look good if applying to business type courses.
    There was an article in girlguiding magazine actually- but as of yet, i cant find it online.
    You have a fair point with the specific roles / skills within girl guiding - but only where they are directly applicable to the degree course.

However, if she is applying for a degree in politics (as the think tank work experience suggests) then I'm struggling to see that characters would be better spent on in depth talk of girl guiding than talking about (say) extra reading. That said, my mind could be swayed by reading a good PS, where they were otherwise struggling to show extra curriculars.

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.