Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

I'm been thinking about going into counselling and psychotherapy for a while now, and have been offered a place on the 3 year Advanced Diploma with Chrysalis. Has anyone been on one of these courses before, or do you know someone who has? What was the course like, and the job prospects afterwards?

I already have a degree in Medical Sciences BSc (Hons) but haven't done a lot with it since I graduated in 2010, as I fell pregnant during my first (temp) job after graduating and have been at home with my child since, while my husband is the breadwinner.

I'm doing a 10-week (20 hour) Introduction to Counselling course at the local college. To get the Level 4 Diploma (2 years) I first need Level 3, but this does not start at the college until September 2014... And they still haven't given me a price for it yet. I imagine I would need a loan.

The University of Leeds offer a PGDip in Psychotherapy and Counselling, and upon e-mailing them they state I don't need to do the Level 3 as long as I do Levels 1 and 2, and have some experience (I suppose I could volunteer?) however... They are charging £3,333 per year!! I would need to rely on a Career Development Loan, which I hear are hard to come by because of ridiculous criteria (according to the government funded careers advice telephone line!) plus payments need to start a month after graduating, which is going to be difficult as counsellors often have to undertake further training before being able to get paid work??

The reason I was leaning towards Chrysalis is because it is cheaper than going down the routes mentioned above, I can pay as I go, and I leave with no debt (so no worries about paying back a loan if I can't walk straight into a job). Other than the CDL, I may struggle to get a loan anyway as I've been a stay-at-home Mother for the last 2 years, and my husbands credit rating isn't very good (he's paying off a load of old debt, which sadly is nothing to do with me!) but with the way Chrysalis is set out, we have worked out we can afford it.

However, I'm concerned by the lack of consistent information I can find about them online, and by the vague comments I got during the interview. Does the (full 3 year) course fit the criteria for BACP accreditation through the alternative route of doing it through 450+ hours etc? Will I be able to find a placement as a 'Chrysalis' student? Do they help you find placements? Is it a respected institution? Is the teaching any good? Is it a respected qualification, or is it not worth the paper it's written on? What is the qualification equivalent to (the interviewer was very vague again - he said that 2 years study is equivalent to a Level 4 Diploma, and that 3 years is equivalent to a Level 6?)?

I apologise for all the questions! I really hope someone on here can help me. I don't want to rush into booking this course, but at the same time I feel financially that this is the best option for us as a family, as we have no savings to fall back on and may not be able to get a loan!

Thank you! xx

ReputationRep:
    no youre ****

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering if you had ever received a response to these questions or whether you have undertaken the course. I would be very interested to know.

ReputationRep:
    Chrysalis are not recommended or well-regarded. It doesn't fulfil many of the fundamental criteria you need to ethically practise. It's cheap for a reason!

if you want a job as a counsellor you need to do an accredited course, eg by BACP or CPCAB. Chrysalis qualifications put employers off and you would struggle to even get a placement. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    PS read this
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=889958

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 28, 2015

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.