The Student Room Group

What to do? :/

Hey guys,

So basically, I'm currently in my first year at an above average university studying Law (would prefer to not disclose the university). After moving to a completely new city that is about 4 hours away from home by car, I felt extremely homesick/depressed during my first week which, to be honest, was to be expected of. I am now in my second week and quite frankly, I'm just not enjoying it and have not really picked up much in my lectures as I'm finding it extremely difficult to interpret the information - things just aren't 'clicking'. My first tutorial as well did not go very well, the things that were being discussed, I was just not able to understand much of it and it was all very confusing.

So, I've now started to question whether this was the right decision and whether law is for me. To give you a bit of insight into my academic background, I had previously studied a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT, which as you probably know, is a BIG change. Originally, I intended on studying a computing related course as that was what I wanted to do, hence why I chose to do a BTEC in the first place. I am now however starting to consider perhaps taking a gap year out and was going to look at studying an IT related course at a university back in my hometown, as I think that ultimately, I would be much much happier doing that. Unfortunately, it is too late to transfer to that university now, so I would basically have to wait until next year to start there. There is also a big difference between both universities in terms of league table rankings and prestige (the university that I'm considering transferring to next year is far lower ranked), however, that isn't really a worry to me as I am more concerned about my welfare and happiness. I've spoken to my personal tutor and he has suggested to give it a few more weeks before I make any rash decisions.
Some suggestions/advice would be really appreciated!
Reply 1
I say Take a year out! and go back home and study a different course there. I was in first year last year and was studying Sports science with chemistry, I hated the chemistry and they wouldn't let me change and I missed home loads as I was 4hours away too!! I wish I had taken a year out but I decided to see it through which resulted me giving up at the end of the year because I knew I had got on to another course here at the same Uni, so that was a waste of one year. However I am now doing Human Biology and I like it a lot better but I still miss home loads so now I am wishing that I was at a Uni near home but I have no choice now :frown: so take my advice leave now and save yourself the money and go home and study there!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending