Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my final year of school (doing IB). 18 years old. My whole life I have disliked school and never really been involved mentally, I'm more creative (music, art, photography etc) so I never found anything interesting. Also my older brother disliked school, so I guess i was influenced by him as well (not blaming him).
    Last year in February I began dating a girl in the year below.
    She's extremely studious, gets good grades, is involved in school, does loads of activities, enjoys her classes AND has a social life. She is the most well rounded person I know, with her interests, passions and ambitions.
    For a time, we were complete opposites in that sense, however I have been influenced by her so much. I really want to do well, and I often feel inferior to her.

Here, in my final year of school with a current predicted grade of 31 (could slightly raise), I regret how I spent my school years. I'm only now becoming interested and seeing the true value of school and the benefits. I know the exams are in May and I still have time to improve, but in terms of applying, I'll have to use my predicted grade. (which i dont like). I've truly grown as a person, in terms of ambitions and interests.
    I was in my comfort zone for 17 years, and now I have so many interests and so many things I want to excell in, but i feel like it's too late (not in life, but for university and school).
    I'm so envious of my gf, she has so many opportunities and is so smart. The fact that she is in the year below me keeps reminding me of how I should've been. I didn't avoid work, I did actually work, but I just didn't take it as seriously as I do now, or she does.
    Basically, my grades are average.

Does anyone feel like this?
    A sudden late realisation and change in attitude?
    what do i do?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    it's completely normal to have a change in attitude when growing up, school is too rigid, people make mistakes but you need to learn from them. Find something you're interested in and stick with that, that's the only worthwhile advice I can think of. Don't compare yourself to your girlfriend either, you could have had completely different situations and talents.

Honestly school years aren't the best years of your life, you've still got many many years left, don't let it bring you down.

ReputationRep:
    Stop regretting and just try changing. This happens to a lot of people at many different ages. Many people regret how they were and spend too long on that feeling.

Just focus on what you can do now and in the future. Kicking yourself for not working in the past isn't a great way to motivate yourself for long periods of time.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.