Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year in college and hope to study medicine at university in two years time. I suffer from social anxiety and depression.

Basically, I find it very hard to call up places such as care homes and hospitals and ask to do volunteering/ work placements, mainly because of my social anxiety. This is an issue I hope to overcome (I'm seeing a therapist in a few weeks), however even if I do then I will only have around a year of experience, at the most.

Also, my attendance is poor because I'm currently finding it hard to make it out of the house, and I've heard that universities look at this. Is this true?

So, my question is will universities give the benefit of the doubt to those with mental disorders (especially for such a competitive course)?

P.S. I hope to not be suffering so harshly from SA by the time I get to uni (which I know is wishful thinking) so in this situation I'm asking like my mental health won't affect my ability to speak to patients and turn up for lectures etc.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imbatman)
    I'm a first year in college and hope to study medicine at university in two years time. I suffer from social anxiety and depression.

Basically, I find it very hard to call up places such as care homes and hospitals and ask to do volunteering/ work placements, mainly because of my social anxiety. This is an issue I hope to overcome (I'm seeing a therapist in a few weeks), however even if I do then I will only have around a year of experience, at the most.

Also, my attendance is poor because I'm currently finding it hard to make it out of the house, and I've heard that universities look at this. Is this true?

So, my question is will universities give the benefit of the doubt to those with mental disorders (especially for such a competitive course)?

P.S. I hope to not be suffering so harshly from SA by the time I get to uni (which I know is wishful thinking) so in this situation I'm asking like my mental health won't affect my ability to speak to patients and turn up for lectures etc.

Thank you
    A university cannot reject you on the basis of you suffering from social anxiety or any other mental health problem. If you were given an offer, you would have to explain your situation to Occupational Health, who would assess you and make any recommendations about how the university can help you cope with the course. They do have to consider the GMC's Fitness to Practise regulations though, so if your condition would affect your ability to be a doctor then it may become a problem. Remember that being a doctor and even a medical student will involve working in a very busy environment, talking to lots of people, many of whom will be strangers, in person and on the phone - you need to be able to do this.

They can reject you if you haven't got enough work experience and they don't think you have a realistic idea about what a career in medicine entails. Whether they would give you any mitigation on this front because of your circumstances I am not sure - they may be understanding but at the end of the day you do need to have done something!

Your attendance will only be an issue if it's mentioned in your reference. Remember that attendance for a lot of things at med school is compulsory and you can fail/be kicked out for not attending. I strongly recommend you work hard at overcoming your anxieties and improving your school attendance so that this is not a problem.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 9, 2013

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.