Couch surfing Watch

Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Has anyone done anything like this or similar?
I want to but I'm a bit concerned about safety.
HJ M
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
One of my friend's sisters has done this to travel around Europe apparently the people are really nice and she never had any problems. However, I wouldn't do it as I would worry!
klipsan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
there's lots of similar threads to this to look through for answers
I've used it a couple of times with mixed outcomes. As a girl, there's a fair amount of danger that your host might be interested in 'compensation' for their troubles of letting you stay. I had that situation once. The other time was really great, and I ended up staying for longer than planned because of this person alone. It's all about trying to get to know that person as much as possible before you visit so there's a better chance of them being awesome.
It's also a good idea to keep 1-2 alternative options incase something goes wrong. A hostel nearby, or another host. Just incase.
officelinebacker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by keromedic)
Has anyone done anything like this or similar?
I want to but I'm a bit concerned about safety.
I've done it quite a bit, but whenever I've done it it's all been planned out ahead of time.

www.couchsurfing.org

I've basically used that to find somebody in each city I'm stopping off at who has somewhere for me to crash for a night or two, and I've never had a problem.

If you find people through that site too it's possible to be very safe as you can easily stick to just members who are verified by the site and who have plenty of feedback from other members.
eddyc2012
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've done it heaps.

Even if I don't stay I'll often use the couchsurfing meet ups, events etc and start conversations with people in the area to find travel buddies and to hang out.

As for my experience surfing... All positive but one. But that's what I get for being optimistic about people lol.

I'll host when I go back to Ireland from December

Posted from TSR Mobile
standreams
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I used to host Couchsurfers when I was living abroad.

Remember, the host takes as much of a risk as the guest.

I would only host people who had a decent number of good references and who had a detailed profile. I suggest you do the same.

Never had any bad experiences, only positive ones.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by standreams)
I used to host Couchsurfers when I was living abroad.

Remember, the host takes as much of a risk as the guest.

I would only host people who had a decent number of good references and who had a detailed profile. I suggest you do the same.

Never had any bad experiences, only positive ones.
References from other couch surfers?
standreams
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by keromedic)
References from other couch surfers?
Yes, their references (both those they have been left and those they have given) are displayed on their profile.
Kvothe the Arcane
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by standreams)
Yes, their references (both those they have been left and those they have given) are displayed on their profile.
Fair enough. So there's a good chance then that no one will have me then, when I'm 18, as I'll have no references!
-raisa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm 19, a female and I've couch-surfed alone several times (in Poland, the Czech Republic, Ukraine and Germany) and I've never had any problems!

I've had the most amazing times ever! Staying with locals is the best, because they obviously know the city really well; for example, my host in Dresden showed me some of the "off-the-beaten-path" parts of Dresden (and arranged for a friend of her's to take me around the city all day – personal tour guide haha ) and I went out for a traditional Polish meal with my host in Wroclaw. I think couchsurfing gives you a better 'feel' of a place than you'd get if you were just staying in a hostel/hotel.

Also, I was really lucky in that in some of the places I went to, I ended up staying right in the centre of the city – so less than 5 minutes walk from the main square in Prague, Wroclaw and Dresden. There was NO way I could ever afford to stay in a location like that otherwise!!

Like others have said, I would always choose my hosts VERY carefully. I've stayed with single-male hosts before, but that was only because they've had tons of references already.

Nobody has any references when they start out, so I wouldn't worry too much about that – as long as you've filled out your profile properly (so it shows your personality) and uploaded a few pictures, there will be people out there nice enough to take you in!

Hope that helps x
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (115)
41.82%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (86)
31.27%
I don't have an opinion (74)
26.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise