Should I quit my job so soon? Watch

JodieW
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have worked 3 months at a charity shop, 3 months where I currently work and I will be working another 3 months only for the job I just got as a Christmas temp. I don't know if it's a good idea to take on the new job and quit my current one though, even though the pay is a lot better (3.71 up to 6.55) because it might look awful on my CV that I've only done 3 months at the three places I've worked in. Advice please?

Also, after the Christmas temp job is finished I don't think I'd be able to find another job. Would future employers be really put off that I've never had a long term job?

EDIT: Also, I'm not sure I'd want to find another job after my Christmas job is over because of the run up to exams and stuff.
JodieW
Rep:
?
Bump

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kilaskwiral
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Where is the temp job at? Many places have a habit of keeping staff on after the temp period is over.
Y Weight
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Employers will naturally think your not committed to the companies you work for and be less likely to hire you.
Anazoth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
First of all. Paying you 3 pound an hour is illegal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
GeogBerry
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If they were temp jobs and volunteering it's fine, just mention they were temp and your contract was over

Posted from TSR Mobile
BobLoblawLawBlog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anazoth)

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP was being paid the minimum wage. What she is getting paid isn't illegal (just very mean).

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anazoth)

Posted from TSR Mobile
If the OP is under 18 it would have been legal as it meets NMW, but it has since been raised to £3.72 per hour so unless they get a pay increase you're right it is illegal!

OP employers could go either way with this really; they may think you were on temp contracts that weren't renewed (if you don't mention whether your contracts were temp or permanent) or that you haven't got much staying power, which can reflect badly. Since they are part-time jobs while you're in education it's not so crucial that you're in work as there are no gaps in your CV, but it is a risk quitting your permanent job to take a temp job even if it is better paid - you may find that you miss the consistent money you had. There is a chance you could be kept on and changed to a permanent contract from the Xmas job though if you're a good worker and they can afford to do it, so it's really up to you. Your education is top priority, so if you feel that you wouldn't want to balance work and college you don't have to do it.
snowyowl
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you legally have to put your other places of employment on your CV? If not, I'd be tempted to go for this new job, and then in future only put the new one on there. You can make it clear on the CV that it is a temp job.

You mention exams, so I assume you are still at sixth form/uni. Employers expect students to take on temp jobs. I don't think it will be too much of an issue.
scrotgrot
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
These days the job market has been so deregulated that you can walk in anywhere and get a zero-hour contract - which is terrible for adults with families to support but perfectly sufficient hours for a student-type job. I got a zero-hour job this summer with only the most summary of "interviews", and it had been three years since my last regular job (excluding the odd uni open day etc).

Don't worry. £3.71 is exploitative money and God knows how they are getting away with not paying you the minimum wage. That is less than half of the £7.85 per hour that is the living wage in this country.
JodieW
Rep:
?
(Original post by snowyowl)
Do you legally have to put your other places of employment on your CV? If not, I'd be tempted to go for this new job, and then in future only put the new one on there. You can make it clear on the CV that it is a temp job.

You mention exams, so I assume you are still at sixth form/uni. Employers expect students to take on temp jobs. I don't think it will be too much of an issue.
That's what I was thinking, I might omit the job I have now (which is zero hour contract and I still have three months left of my probationary period), and just go for the Xmas job :/ I don't know if I'm allowed to miss it out on my CV though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
JodieW
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
If the OP is under 18 it would have been legal as it meets NMW, but it has since been raised to £3.72 per hour so unless they get a pay increase you're right it is illegal!

OP employers could go either way with this really; they may think you were on temp contracts that weren't renewed (if you don't mention whether your contracts were temp or permanent) or that you haven't got much staying power, which can reflect badly. Since they are part-time jobs while you're in education it's not so crucial that you're in work as there are no gaps in your CV, but it is a risk quitting your permanent job to take a temp job even if it is better paid - you may find that you miss the consistent money you had. There is a chance you could be kept on and changed to a permanent contract from the Xmas job though if you're a good worker and they can afford to do it, so it's really up to you. Your education is top priority, so if you feel that you wouldn't want to balance work and college you don't have to do it.
I really want to go for the Xmas job because it's better paid and also with the job I have now I would have quit in a few months anyway in the run up to exams. Am I legally allowed to omit the fact that I worked at the place I work at now on my CV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
JodieW
Rep:
?
(Original post by brittanna)
OP was being paid the minimum wage. What she is getting paid isn't illegal (just very mean).

https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Could I have your opinion on my situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it's any help, I'm 26 now and I've had 12 jobs, none of which have lasted a year. My last job was a 2 year grad scheme and I left after 5 weeks! Whether it hurts your future prospects probably depends more on what job you're applying for and why you left your previous jobs - I had good reasons for everything and so it wasn't a hindrance. If you're just unreliable, that's going to be a problem.

I don't think you're legally obliged to provide any particular information - you're just not allowed to lie.
JodieW
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpicyStrawberry)

Also the money I get isn't consistent unfortunately, one week I can get 3 hours and the next 8, but never more than that because they have so much staff :/ I think I'm just going to go for the Xmas job

Posted from TSR Mobile
JodieW
Rep:
?
(Original post by CurlyBen)
If it's any help, I'm 26 now and I've had 12 jobs, none of which have lasted a year. My last job was a 2 year grad scheme and I left after 5 weeks! Whether it hurts your future prospects probably depends more on what job you're applying for and why you left your previous jobs - I had good reasons for everything and so it wasn't a hindrance. If you're just unreliable, that's going to be a problem.

I don't think you're legally obliged to provide any particular information - you're just not allowed to lie.
Thanks! It's just my job right now is terrible, I can get anything from 3-8 hours a week (never any more which is really annoying) and I get paid minimum wage which is just so stingy. I'm going to go for the Xmas job I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BobLoblawLawBlog
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JodieW)
Could I have your opinion on my situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Personally, i'd probably go for the christmas one and leave your current job. When you apply for a job that you actually want as a career, i'm fairly sure you'd be able to leave off working for 3 months in an unrelated job, and so I don't think they would ever need to know that you never managed to keep one long term. And if you do, you could just say that you were only in them for that for a short while as you wanted to revise for exams as you got closer to the exam period (assuming your still at school). And then for the christmas temp job, you'd also have a reason as to why you were only there for three months. Although, if they did decide to keep you on afterwards, then you could use this to show that you have had jobs that you have stayed at for longer periods of time.
JodieW
Rep:
?
(Original post by brittanna)
Personally, i'd probably go for the christmas one and leave your current job. When you apply for a job that you actually want as a career, i'm fairly sure you'd be able to leave off working for 3 months in an unrelated job, and so I don't think they would ever need to know that you never managed to keep one long term. And if you do, you could just say that you were only in them for that for a short while as you wanted to revise for exams as you got closer to the exam period (assuming your still at school). And then for the christmas temp job, you'd also have a reason as to why you were only there for three months. Although, if they did decide to keep you on afterwards, then you could use this to show that you have had jobs that you have stayed at for longer periods of time.
Thanks, I'm just gonna go for it then

Posted from TSR Mobile
SpicyStrawberry
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really want to go for the Xmas job because it's better paid and also with the job I have now I would have quit in a few months anyway in the run up to exams. Am I legally allowed to omit the fact that I worked at the place I work at now on my CV?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Course you can, there's nothing at all illegal about missing out certain bits of info about yourself e.g. jobs you've done that you don't want to mention or want to leave off as there isn't enough space. Some people even leave off their degree classification when applying for work if they didn't do as well as they had hoped, and there's nothing legally wrong with doing this. When you lie on your CV that's when you can get into trouble, and if you're caught you could understandably be sacked.

Also the money I get isn't consistent unfortunately, one week I can get 3 hours and the next 8, but never more than that because they have so much staff :/ I think I'm just going to go for the Xmas job

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah I see. Well the Xmas job sounds like the most sensible option in your situation, good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (87)
46.77%
Pro-humanity (99)
53.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed