Textbook confusion Watch

MrHappyChappy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

Say if in a biology textbook written in the english language it says....

"The area in which substrate molecules bind to enzymes is called the active site"

Does that mean that the said area in an enzyme is known as the active site only in english? For example in another language such as French, that area of the enzyme wouldn't be called an "active site".
MrHappyChappy
Rep:
?
Bump.
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It would probably be translated into the other language's equivalent of "active site" so speakers of other languages understand it, but it would still mean the same thing.
MrHappyChappy
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
It would probably be translated into the other language's equivalent of "active site" so speakers of other languages understand it, but it would still mean the same thing.

So is my textbook trying to say this area of the enzyme is called an active site in the english language?
SpicyStrawberry
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MrHappyChappy)
So is my textbook trying to say this area of the enzyme is called an active site in the english language?
Yeah I would think so.
MrHappyChappy
Rep:
?
Yeah I would think so.

I am right in assuming the words "active site" represent that area. So when you mention the words "active site", you are talking about that area.
SpicyStrawberry
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MrHappyChappy)
I am right in assuming the words "active site" represent that area. So when you mention the words "active site", you are talking about that area.
Yep, it's the correct terminology to use. In French, "active site" is translated to "site actif" but it means the exact same thing, just in a different language. Always stay consistent with the language you use if this is where your confusion lies.
MrHappyChappy
Rep:
?
Yep, it's the correct terminology to use. In French, "active site" is translated to "site actif" but it means the exact same thing, just in a different language. Always stay consistent with the language you use if this is where your confusion lies.

Thanks for that.
MrHappyChappy
Rep:
?
Anyone else?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1381)
79.5%
Leave (356)
20.5%

Watched Threads