The Student Room Group

Spanish vs Psychology AS Level?

Hi,

I am in Year 11 and doing my GCSEs and I keep changing my mind on my A Level subjects! Right now, I am pretty certain I want to study biology, chemistry and maths.

However, for my fourth subject which I will drop after I get my AS in it, I am considering either psychology or spanish. Though I have never done psychology, I think it sounds interesting and I would enjoy it, yet I have heard it is pretty difficult!

Yet I do spanish for my GCSE and while I am good at it (predicted and achieving A*s), I don't know how well I would do in it at AS level!

Could you please tell me about any of these two subjects, if you enjoy it and how difficult it is? Also which would be more useful for like medicine?

Thanks a lot!:redface:

Scroll to see replies

I study psychology so I'm a little bit biased, but if you're planning on dropping it after a year I'd maybe lean towards studying Spanish? That way you'll be progressing a skill you already have (which you can mention on your CV), rather than starting from scratch with something else? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by katiek-
I study psychology so I'm a little bit biased, but if you're planning on dropping it after a year I'd maybe lean towards studying Spanish? That way you'll be progressing a skill you already have (which you can mention on your CV), rather than starting from scratch with something else? :smile:

Ahh thank you! Just out of interest, how are you finding psychology? Is it difficult? It's just I am slightly put off Spanish at the idea of speaking for 15 minutes!
Original post by dk97
Ahh thank you! Just out of interest, how are you finding psychology? Is it difficult? It's just I am slightly put off Spanish at the idea of speaking for 15 minutes!

It is and it isn't. I wouldn't consider it to be the hardest A Level out there but it's not the easiest either - I don't think people expect psychology to be quite so "sciencey". I found it difficult in the beginning until I got used to the format of the essays and exams but I ended up enjoying it so much that I went on to study it at university! There will be bits that you find easy and bits that you don't, as with any subject really. Maybe you could see if your college/sixth form is running taster sessions? That way you'll get a better idea of both subjects and hopefully make it easier to choose :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by katiek-
It is and it isn't. I wouldn't consider it to be the hardest A Level out there but it's not the easiest either - I don't think people expect psychology to be quite so "sciencey". I found it difficult in the beginning until I got used to the format of the essays and exams but I ended up enjoying it so much that I went on to study it at university! There will be bits that you find easy and bits that you don't, as with any subject really. Maybe you could see if your college/sixth form is running taster sessions? That way you'll get a better idea of both subjects and hopefully make it easier to choose :smile:

Yeah, that's a good idea :biggrin:

What subjects did you study psychology with? And what grade did you end up getting?

Thanks very much, really appreciate it! :smile:
Original post by dk97
Yeah, that's a good idea :biggrin:

What subjects did you study psychology with? And what grade did you end up getting?

Thanks very much, really appreciate it! :smile:

I studied English Language and Fine Art alongside psychology (ended up with an A for that and B's for the other two).

No problem, glad I could help. Good luck with your GCSE's!
Personally I would stray away from languages, I do A2 spanish and have been doing it since year7 and the gap between gcse and AS spanish is ridiculous! Like I couldn't grasp it, I got an A in GCSE and D at AS. The speaking is better and but exam content its a big jump, grammar wise its an influx!
Reply 7
Original post by katiek-
I studied English Language and Fine Art alongside psychology (ended up with an A for that and B's for the other two).

No problem, glad I could help. Good luck with your GCSE's!

Oohh that's so good, well done! And thanks once again! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by SharminaSyeda
Personally I would stray away from languages, I do A2 spanish and have been doing it since year7 and the gap between gcse and AS spanish is ridiculous! Like I couldn't grasp it, I got an A in GCSE and D at AS. The speaking is better and but exam content its a big jump, grammar wise its an influx!

Oh my word, didn't realise it was so difficult! Is there a lot of conjugating verbs in all the different tenses when put on the spot in the speaking exam, as well as the grammar?

i thought that because the topics in AS Level were quite similar to GCSE, it should be okay... maybe not then! but how are you finding A2?

Thanks for the help!
Original post by dk97
Oh my word, didn't realise it was so difficult! Is there a lot of conjugating verbs in all the different tenses when put on the spot in the speaking exam, as well as the grammar?

i thought that because the topics in AS Level were quite similar to GCSE, it should be okay... maybe not then! but how are you finding A2?

Thanks for the help!

Kind of, you're expected to know the irregular verbs for all the major tenses (preterite, imperfect, regular, past participle) and then theres new stuff: the subjunctive, (a whole set of new conjugations) imperatives, stem changing its a nightmare!! If you feel like you're good with verbs then go for it for sure! A2 is okay, the topics are interesting currently doing immigration and poverty & wealth they're different but content is massive!
Original post by dk97
Hi,

I am in Year 11 and doing my GCSEs and I keep changing my mind on my A Level subjects! Right now, I am pretty certain I want to study biology, chemistry and maths.

However, for my fourth subject which I will drop after I get my AS in it, I am considering either psychology or spanish. Though I have never done psychology, I think it sounds interesting and I would enjoy it, yet I have heard it is pretty difficult!

Yet I do spanish for my GCSE and while I am good at it (predicted and achieving A*s), I don't know how well I would do in it at AS level!

Could you please tell me about any of these two subjects, if you enjoy it and how difficult it is? Also which would be more useful for like medicine?

Thanks a lot!:redface:

Hiya!

I'm studying A2s at the moment. I haven't studied psychology but I study 2 languages.

I'd say study Spanish. It's a language, it's challenging and highly respected. Universities understand the difficultly of languages but they teach you to think logically and make links.

I don't mean to pick on all the psychologists here, but psychology is seen as a "mickey mouse" and "soft subject".
Reply 11
Original post by SharminaSyeda
Kind of, you're expected to know the irregular verbs for all the major tenses (preterite, imperfect, regular, past participle) and then theres new stuff: the subjunctive, (a whole set of new conjugations) imperatives, stem changing its a nightmare!! If you feel like you're good with verbs then go for it for sure! A2 is okay, the topics are interesting currently doing immigration and poverty & wealth they're different but content is massive!

Sounds complicated. The problem is, I don't know if I'm good with verbs only at GCSE level, but if AS Level is so much harder I might struggle. But I really want an A for AS! Which would you say is hardest- writing, speaking, reading or listening? Thanks for the advice!
Reply 12
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Hiya!

I'm studying A2s at the moment. I haven't studied psychology but I study 2 languages.

I'd say study Spanish. It's a language, it's challenging and highly respected. Universities understand the difficultly of languages but they teach you to think logically and make links.

I don't mean to pick on all the psychologists here, but psychology is seen as a "mickey mouse" and "soft subject".

Ahh, I didn't think psychology was a soft subject- I heard it was pretty hard! Haha

Which two languages did you study? Do you enjoy and do well in them? And yeah that's true about universities- if it puts me at a slight advantage then I'm up for it!

Thanks for the response- really appreciate it! :smile:
Reply 13
I've started my A Levels this year studying biology chemistry maths and physics. I know these are not the subjects in question but I thought I'd give my opinion.

I got an A at GCSE Spanish, never done psychology. I thought about doing psychology for A-Level but decided against it to keep my options more open. Psychology isn't a soft subject but it's not a facilitating subject either. Psychology isn't required for any particular degree subject but it is certainly not unhelpful or a 'Mickey Mouse' subject.

Spanish is of course a facilitating subject but in my opinion languages are by far the hardest subjects out there. This is my opinion, I don't want to put you off doing Spanish as of course it's highly respected, but the level of effort and time required for a language is higher than any other subject I believe.

Hope I helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Hilton184
I've started my A Levels this year studying biology chemistry maths and physics. I know these are not the subjects in question but I thought I'd give my opinion.

I got an A at GCSE Spanish, never done psychology. I thought about doing psychology for A-Level but decided against it to keep my options more open. Psychology isn't a soft subject but it's not a facilitating subject either. Psychology isn't required for any particular degree subject but it is certainly not unhelpful or a 'Mickey Mouse' subject.

Spanish is of course a facilitating subject but in my opinion languages are by far the hardest subjects out there. This is my opinion, I don't want to put you off doing Spanish as of course it's highly respected, but the level of effort and time required for a language is higher than any other subject I believe.

Hope I helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes- that's exactly what I thought about psychology!

And that is exactly where my dilemma lies with Spanish! :frown: I just have no idea whether or not I would be able to handle it and get an A in AS Level!

Just out of interest, how are you finding your combination of biology, chemistry and maths? Which do you find most enjoyable and which most difficult?

Thanks a lot!
I did Spanish up to AS, and really enjoyed it. I did then drop it, and had always intended to drop it at the end of AS.

I found it really useful. While it is a big step up from GCSE, the way I was taught was good, with a good focus on grammar. Obviously I don't know how your school teaches it, but you need to really understand the grammar. GCSE is nice, but not that helpful in terms of preparing you to go and use your spanish abroad. While I'm by no means fluent, I have sufficient level to communicate enough with native speakers to make myself understood. Admittedly my listening skills aren't as good, and don't always understand their responses, but I can usually get the gist of it!

Psychology may be nice, but Spanish, I believe, is more useful!
Reply 16
Original post by dk97
Yes- that's exactly what I thought about psychology!

And that is exactly where my dilemma lies with Spanish! :frown: I just have no idea whether or not I would be able to handle it and get an A in AS Level!

Just out of interest, how are you finding your combination of biology, chemistry and maths? Which do you find most enjoyable and which most difficult?

Thanks a lot!

Physics I'm finding hardest, as I originally took English Lit and swapped it a few weeks in.

Out of biology, chemistry and maths, I would say I'm finding maths easiest (I took a additional maths FSMQ in high school which includes a-lot of the things from core 1 (and core 2)). I didn't take triple science at GCSE which is ironic as I'm now taking all the sciences at A Level but I don't feel it has disadvantaged me much really.

I'm finding chemistry easier than biology currently but that may be due to my chemistry teacher being much better, I don't really know:s

TLDR

Hardest

Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Maths

Easiest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by mespannerhanz
I did Spanish up to AS, and really enjoyed it. I did then drop it, and had always intended to drop it at the end of AS.

I found it really useful. While it is a big step up from GCSE, the way I was taught was good, with a good focus on grammar. Obviously I don't know how your school teaches it, but you need to really understand the grammar. GCSE is nice, but not that helpful in terms of preparing you to go and use your spanish abroad. While I'm by no means fluent, I have sufficient level to communicate enough with native speakers to make myself understood. Admittedly my listening skills aren't as good, and don't always understand their responses, but I can usually get the gist of it!

Psychology may be nice, but Spanish, I believe, is more useful!

Thank you very much! And same- I'm probably worst in the listening but if I do well in the other parts I should be okay :smile: if you don't mind me asking, how did you do in the AS? And what else did you study? :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Hilton184
Physics I'm finding hardest, as I originally took English Lit and swapped it a few weeks in.

Out of biology, chemistry and maths, I would say I'm finding maths easiest (I took a additional maths FSMQ in high school which includes a-lot of the things from core 1 (and core 2)). I didn't take triple science at GCSE which is ironic as I'm now taking all the sciences at A Level but I don't feel it has disadvantaged me much really.

I'm finding chemistry easier than biology currently but that may be due to my chemistry teacher being much better, I don't really know:s

TLDR

Hardest

Physics
Biology
Chemistry
Maths

Easiest

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooohh I think I might be doing that FSMQ as well because I get my maths GCSE this November! That makes me feel a lot more confident about it :smile:

Thanks sooo much for the advice, it really helps!
Original post by dk97
Thank you very much! And same- I'm probably worst in the listening but if I do well in the other parts I should be okay :smile: if you don't mind me asking, how did you do in the AS? And what else did you study? :smile:

No problem. If you want to ask more about Spanish, feel free, although it is over two years since I finished AS spanish.
I just scraped an A in the end, and did Geography, Maths and Economics alongside it.

Quick Reply

Latest