Turn on thread page Beta

I'm not used to meeting guy friends alone as it is awks a bit. Anyways so I've known him and I guess he's cuter than other friends but I don't know if I fancy him. I'm 23 and getting kinda desperate to date but I don't ruin being friends.

Also I'm too picky. He's nice. Mostly really funny though. Quite a bit similar to me. I just get real annoyed that he's too cheap to text/ call, whatsapps as its free or FB. Its *****y to say but I wouldn't be able to cope with someone cheap, as more than friends. That's all.

If I do start dating him, could it ruin being friends?

It is just that, imagine really needing someone more than a friend and they don't call/ text back. Don't think that part would work is all. Also I spend a lot £, he spends nothing. I also earn more, even though I need to be more ambitious as don't earn that much, it is more than him. I need to be with someone ambitious, also his humour being like mine i.e the class clowns, as much as it is hilarious as friends, hmm as a relationship just wouldn't work as too similar on our approach on life. I can't do someone easygoing chilled the whole time, need a bit of maturity. He has grown up a lot though lately, so I'm really surprised as seems like a man now
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not used to meeting guy friends alone as it is awks a bit. Anyways so I've known him and I guess he's cuter than other friends but I don't know if I fancy him. I'm 23 and getting kinda desperate to date but I don't ruin being friends.

Also I'm too picky. He's nice. Mostly really funny though. Quite a bit similar to me. I just get real annoyed that he's too cheap to text/ call, whatsapps as its free or FB. Its *****y to say but I wouldn't be able to cope with someone cheap, as more than friends. That's all.

Whatsapp's exactly the same as texting, why should he text instead?!

And he'll probably happily call you if you're dating, but he's not going to just call you up and have an hour chat otherwise, seem a bit odd!

At 23 I'm sure you know people who've done more than just go on a date or two together and stay friends. Obviously if you stay with him for 5 years and then have a horribly messy break up weeks before a planned wedding it will, but it shouldn't if you just try a couple of dates and decide it's a non starter.

Reading the second is he likely to start earning more soon? eg. If he were a final year medical student it would seem a bit short sighted to not date him because he's broke now.

ReputationRep:
    from what you said I don't think you do fancy him at all! If I was you, I'd just appreciate the friendship and get over the feeling awkward about going out alone with a guy friend, be grateful that you have a good friendship! Also, don't just say you like him because your 'desperate to date'...imagine how you would feel if someone thought that way about you! oh yh I don't really like her but I'm desperate....!!! You'll find someone to date when the right person comes along...if your not meeting people in every day life try and change up your routine...take up a new hobby, evening class, job, voluntary work etc etc Don't just settle for the best of a unsuitable bunch of guy options!

(Original post by Le Nombre)
    Whatsapp's exactly the same as texting, why should he text instead?!

And he'll probably happily call you if you're dating, but he's not going to just call you up and have an hour chat otherwise, seem a bit odd!

At 23 I'm sure you know people who've done more than just go on a date or two together and stay friends. Obviously if you stay with him for 5 years and then have a horribly messy break up weeks before a planned wedding it will, but it shouldn't if you just try a couple of dates and decide it's a non starter.

Reading the second is he likely to start earning more soon? eg. If he were a final year medical student it would seem a bit short sighted to not date him because he's broke now.
    Whatsapp can take take time for a response, depends on wifi connection lol. Thanks, you're right . I'd only say yes if noone will get hurt and if I know it'll last long. I'll also ofcourse tell that I'm trying my best to move abroad for a year soon. I do think he's more suitable than the other guys. He got a 1st and is looking for a job, we both have business degrees. His family are rich but I'm looking for someone independent, doesn't have to be rich but atleast enough to cope in life. I need someone to look up to for advice, support, to grow together and improve. I'll see how it goes

(Original post by pinkglitterx)
    from what you said I don't think you do fancy him at all! If I was you, I'd just appreciate the friendship and get over the feeling awkward about going out alone with a guy friend, be grateful that you have a good friendship! Also, don't just say you like him because your 'desperate to date'...imagine how you would feel if someone thought that way about you! oh yh I don't really like her but I'm desperate....!!! You'll find someone to date when the right person comes along...if your not meeting people in every day life try and change up your routine...take up a new hobby, evening class, job, voluntary work etc etc Don't just settle for the best of a unsuitable bunch of guy options!
    We both feel the same, just can't find what we want and talk about that same feeling. This is true, I don't want to settle but I'll have to at some point for something. I'm unsure if sexually attracted to him, I think independence creates that feeling and we're both lost at the moment.

Sometimes I feel sexually attracted to complete douches, knowing that I'd get really hurt by people who aren't nice, I tend to think that I can make them into a nice person. So I feel bad, why can't I just fancy a nice guy. I did fancy my ex boss, sexually attracted aswell as thinking that he's genuinely nice, that's just so hard to find besides fairytale daydream office romances which I shouldn't really be thinking of.

It is right after my haircut. I don't think I'm that nervous . This maybe as he's nice and not a douche, if he was a douche then I'd feel physically sick

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother tbh, You're not even sure you fancy him and you're picking faults based on, what seems to be his income and how he spends it. I'd actually see not money on unnecessary things as quite a good thing. You might see it as being "cheap" but its quite sensible really. Means hes less likely to get in a load of financial difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I'd wait and see before you jump into a relationship that'll end in a broken friendship. Just meet him a few more times and see how things go. If you have that one problem with him, perhaps you'd find more if you just jumped into a relationship so soon. I wouldn't want you to loose a friend also. Keep me updated if you like.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 10, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.