Veterinary med what do Watch

Andrew5879
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
BTEC Ext. Dip. L3 Animal Management - Predicted D*D*D*
AS Maths, Geology, ICT (D,B,A respectively)
GCSE 6A 7.5B
Have about 7 weeks of collective work experience at a livery, kennels, and dangerous animals sanctuary (mostly reptiles)

I'm applying for Vet Med with Preliminary Year at Nottingham, Biovet at Surrey, and Zoology at Sheffield, Liverpool and Leicester.

Nottingham is a longshot, given that I'm on a vocational course and there're 25 places but I still feel it's definitely worth trying. If I get it then I have no problems.

The others I'm less worried about, but I've always had the intention of applying as a postgraduate to do veterinary medicine after completing those degrees, however I wonder if this is the best thing to do.

I've ALWAYS wanted to be a vet, or at least, to work with animals in a more hands-on manner, but biovet and zoology are both more clinical and research based. If I were to get a degree in either zoology or bioveterinary science what would my options be upon graduating in terms of work? I've tried researching but cannot find the exact answers I'm looking for, so I am turning to TSR for specific advice.

Also, are there any post-grad applicants here who may be able to indicate the pros and cons of studying vet science/med after another degree?

Thanks in advance
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have a look through the threads on here, there are quite a lot about grad entry.

The jist of it is though, it is expensive, competitive and def no easy route to get into vet med as a graduate! Yes, people do it, but it doesn't make it an easy option.

I don't know how much you already know, but quite a few of the uni's charge full fees (up to circa £22k/yr). Up until recently RVC and Nottingham charged the same as undergrads (so £9000). Camb also charged that amount, but plus the have college fees, so are more expensive with that added. Recently Bristol have followed and now also charge the same as undergrads. That leaves Liverpool, Ed, Glasgow charging full fees, I don't know what Surrey will do.

This means that the places that charge undergrad fees to grads are very competitive, especially those that offer a 4yr accerlerated course. Nottingham seem to only let a v small number of grads in a year. RVC have about 50 people on their 4 year course (about half/half brits/americans). With a small number of people on the 5yr course whose degrees arent related enough. So getting an offer isn't easy - you will be up against people who have AAA at alevel plus a degree, have resat alevels, have masters and phd's etc. So you still need to have a strong application, *just* having a degree isn't enough.

Funding wise - I dont know if anything will change. But currently you can get a maintenance loan, but that is it. Which this year didnt even cover my accom. No tuition fee loan. So financing it is difficult. Particularly now the fees are £9000. This means you will need to find £36,000 - £45,000 to pay your fees each year. Obviously this may change - maybe for the better, but maybe not. People starting on the grad course now, headed down the other degree route when fees were cheaper and now had to decide whether they could continue with their second degree plan now the fees have increased. There is every risk similar could happen in the future.

Theres not much in the way of bank loans available now either. There used to be career development loans etc, but not sure if they are still around or not. Most people seem to fund it by loans from parents and lots of working prior to uni - but it's a lot of money to find! Ideally you need to have the bulk of the money before starting as it is difficult to work much during the year. I have managed to work a bit, but basically just managed to make enough to top up my living costs, i wouldnt (haven't!) been able to work enough to earn next years costs in total.

I know this probably sounds negative, but I know I def headed down this route without knowing quite what it would involve. I found doing another degree first quite hard, as although I knew it would (hopefully!) lead to vet med, studying a degree that you dont really want to do for three yrs isnt easy! I would say that if there are other options (doing a levels?) or seeing if your btec would be acceptable anywhere (look at RVC gateway), that would def be easier).

Also, look at uni's abroad (again, there are threads on here about it), esp Kosice. THey are RCVS accredited and work out cheaper (even though you dont get loans) that doing a second degree in the UK.
Andrew5879
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate it.
I never considered that funding would be very different for a post grad degree, and the pressure and anxiety is crushing atm because I'm hours from my deadline because I've asked for extensions due to the uncertainty

It's not so much that I don't want to do zoology or bioveterinary courses, it's more a case of I know I'd much rather be elsewhere.

I'm applying for Nottingham's Vet Med with prelim year, but i dont qualify for any foundation/gateway courses other than the one I am applying to.

I suppose there is always the option of taking a degree in zoology for example, and working with zoos. This would be more hands-on than doing research or pharmacy, but im just being stubborn and wanting to exhaust all possible options before i stray from my intended career
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Andrew5879)
Thanks for the advice, I really do appreciate it.
I never considered that funding would be very different for a post grad degree, and the pressure and anxiety is crushing atm because I'm hours from my deadline because I've asked for extensions due to the uncertainty

It's not so much that I don't want to do zoology or bioveterinary courses, it's more a case of I know I'd much rather be elsewhere.

I'm applying for Nottingham's Vet Med with prelim year, but i dont qualify for any foundation/gateway courses other than the one I am applying to.

I suppose there is always the option of taking a degree in zoology for example, and working with zoos. This would be more hands-on than doing research or pharmacy, but im just being stubborn and wanting to exhaust all possible options before i stray from my intended career
I understand how you feel - sounds pretty similar to how I felt at various points. I ended up on my first degree via clearing - made a snap decision, didn't research it fully, realised part way through about the lack of funding for second degrees but didn't know what else to do as I was part way through a degree I didn't really know what to do with. I ended up taking three years out between that degree and vet med, to save money etc, and it's still not been easy. So I will be 28 when I graduated, with a heck of a lot of debt, but ultimately will have the degree I want - whether that was a good trade off or not, I'm not actually sure! Don't get me wrong, I love the course (and hope I will love being a vet), but whether ultimately I would have been happy doing something that didn't take me til this age and this amount of money to do, I don't know!

I wish I had stopped when I started my first degree, taking a year out then and re doing a levels etc, would have been soo much quicker and cheaper - but easier to say with hindsight. In reality a gap year now to buy yourself some decision making time, might be worth it over spending years doing a course you aren't sure about.

I'm not really sure what jobs etc those courses will lead to. I did Animal Science, but only ever really looked as far as vet med. I know biovet at the RVC (so presumably other places) is quite research orientated.

I think it all comes down to whether you will be happy not going down the vet route. And how much you are willing to spend on trying to get down that route - money wise, but also time and risks of not getting in etc.It's really hard to be able to help, as everyone will have different levels they are willing to go to. None of which are wrong!

(and are you sure you aren't able to apply to RVC, they def do take people with BTECs)
Andrew5879
Rep:
?
the bioveterinary course at RVC requires slightly different modules to what my college teaches, as frankly no-one from my college usually aspires that high

I could apply for nursing at RVC and probably get an offer quite easily, which I'll probably do if I go into clearing.

I went and found a tutor at college who was familiar with this general area, and with zoology and bioveterinary i could work in a zoo, which I would enjoy, or there's things like research and pharmacy
Zoology seems to have less career prospects than biovet though

I seriously doubt I'll ever have enough money to pay for one of the more expensive post-grad courses, but the more stringent £9k/year could be an option, whether accelerated or otherwise.

What I might do is change one of the 3 choices to zoology on my ucas form to nursing at RVC so i can be sure il have something in the way of an offer - I can't take a gap year because I already used mine up starting this BTEC after my first year of A levels xO
CharlotteNorman
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm on RVC gateway and did BTEC animal management last year, I got D*D*D*. If you want to be a vet go for it, but fully go for it! I'm loving it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Andrew5879
Rep:
?
Thanks!

In the end I applied at Nottingham Prelim and Gateway - done everything I need to do and just waiting to heard back now!

Also applied for zoology and Sheffield (interview in March) and Leicester (rejected before interview), and Bioveterinary at Surrey (offer DDM)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (699)
80.34%
Leave (171)
19.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed