Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have left college this year with AAA in Biology, History and English. I dropped Chemistry at AS after getting a B in it and deciding that I wanted to do Law or English. I've been spending the past month thinking about what I want to do and I've decided that I want to continue studying Biology but obviously, by dropping Chemistry, I don't have the two sciences required for most courses. It's pretty frustrating because now my options seem so limited. No college will be willing to take me on this late in the year and so I'd have to apply for the year after that and so I'd be 20 when I went to uni which just seems so old. Plus, I'd probably have to go private because I couldn't get in to college after 18 for free. I know you can teach yourself at home but that doesn't seem like a sensible option considering the difficulty of Chemistry and the arrangement of the exams.

I thought that it would be a lot easier than this just to finish off an A-level but it feels like the system is working against me and to be honest I feel pretty hopeless and depressed about the whole situation. Part of me just wants to give up and either apply for a BA in something or just not bother at all, maybe that's the best option.

Some advice would be appreciated anyway

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    20 is nothing.

Go to your old school and ask if you can sit the A2 Chemistry exams there. Then either follow lessons there (if they let you do that as well) or self-study and sit the exams in June.

At the same time, get an internship for a few months in a real lab - your enforced gap year is a great opportunity to find out if Biology is really what you want to study.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to look at a few more Universities ....

Sussex "Typical offer: AAB-ABB -Specific entry requirements: A levels must include at least one from Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry or Physics. Successful applicants will also need GCSE (or equivalent) Mathematics and either Chemistry or Double Science, with at least grade C."

Kent : "ABB at A level including grade B in biology; IB 34 points (15 at Higher), plus GCSE Maths at Grade C or above"

Leeds : A level or Advanced Higher: AAA-ABB from 3 A2/Advanced Higher including Biology and preferably another science or science-related subject. If Biology is the only science subject then an A grade is required.

Cardiff : "AAB-ABB including Biology and preferably Chemistry" (ie. 2nd science not essential)

Keele :"BBB to include A- level Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Human Biology, Maths or Physics"

Brighton : A-levels: BBB including biology at grade B. (Both biology and chemistry at AS-level.)

ReputationRep:
    True that, but as he already has started his gap year, he can only apply for entry next year anyway, so he might as well complete Chemistry and aim for the courses he was looking at initially.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.