Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did two years of a physics degree at Nottingham. Due to family problems I left. Ended up going from one job to the other since.

Now a fair few years on I am interested in actually getting a degree. I now work full time, and could not afford the tuition fees to go back full time.

Here is my transcript:

So my questions are: 1) Will they take that? 2) What courses can I do with it? 3) How quickly could I finish a degree?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

1) Will they take that?

Yes they sure will. At the OU you have 3 levels equivalent to the three years at a regular uni. Each level is made up of 120 credits.

You can transfer credits from another uni from any courses you passed, towards levels 1 and 2, up to a max of 240 credits.

I'm not sure what counts as a pass at your old uni, but if it's say 40%, which means you passed 3/4 of years 1 and 2, then you might get 180 credits towards your OU degree.

2) What courses can I do with it?

The sciences at the OU are all covered by a degree called 'Natural Sciences'. For each individual science there is what they call a 'pathway', a recommended suite of courses.

So if you transferred your credits to a Natural Sciences degree you'd probably get the full wack of credits transferred. And from there you could either do the Physics or Astronomy pathway, or could switch to any of the other sciences.

If you want to transfer your credits to some other degree, then you'd probably get fewer credits transferred, depending on how similar the subject is.

3) How quickly could I finish a degree?

The usual work rate is 60 credits a year, which is about 1/2 full-time. Quite a lot of extra work if you're also working.

So if you transfer 180 credits and have 180 to do, probably 3 years.

HTH

Edit:
    Forgot to mention, your degree classification depends only on the courses you do with the OU. They don't carry over the grades from your transferred modules.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot. I am going to call them tomorrow on my day off and try and get some answers, and then I will sign up. At my old uni first year did not count, so I didn't really bother. I then had family problems, and then had to get a job.

Luckily I have some savings from my redundancy (about 15k so this should cover the fees).

Ideally I would like to complete it in LESS than three years. I am hard working (left a job which averaged 90 hours a week), and now only have to work 40 hours a week. So I have two days off a week, plus all my evenings and early mornings. Would they let me do it in a year if I was willing to put the work in? Realistically I could probably average 50 hours of work a week doing this.

Really looking forward to giving this a go now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oldouguy)
    Thanks a lot. I am going to call them tomorrow on my day off and try and get some answers, and then I will sign up. At my old uni first year did not count, so I didn't really bother. I then had family problems, and then had to get a job.

Luckily I have some savings from my redundancy (about 15k so this should cover the fees).

Ideally I would like to complete it in LESS than three years. I am hard working (left a job which averaged 90 hours a week), and now only have to work 40 hours a week. So I have two days off a week, plus all my evenings and early mornings. Would they let me do it in a year if I was willing to put the work in? Realistically I could probably average 50 hours of work a week doing this.

Really looking forward to giving this a go now.
    I studied 90 points a year for 3 years and 60 in my last year, while working full-time. Assuming the other commenter was correct and you could transfer over 180 credits, that still leaves 180 to do and there is no way you could do that in a year. I don't think they actually let anyone sign up for that much (sometimes you hear about people signing up to just over 120 but it's very rare, and I doubt they'd let you without having any prior OU experience).

Looking back, I probably could've managed 120 points a year, if I sorted out my time management a bit better. It wouldn't have been fun though. With 90 I still managed a social life and regular Saturday overtime for extra money.

2 years should be do-able if you're organised. 1 will not be.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Yes they won't let you do it in a year I'm afraid, they have a rule about 120 credits max in a year.

Although I know someone who beat the system and did 180 one year by taking lots of short courses so that she never had more than 120 credits worth of courses active at one time. But a lot of those courses were level 1s. At level 2 and 3 I don't think there are any short courses.

Courses start in Feb and Oct. The physics and astronomy dept are phasing out Feb starts for all level 3 courses except the project module. So if you get your credit transfer sorted now you could book some of the last Feb courses, then do some more next October and then finish off with the project module in Feb 2015.

Once you know what modules you're doing you could look for 2nd hand course books on ebay, so you can read ahead between now and Feb.

Here are some FAQs on credit transfer:
    http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-t...-qualification

As well as 'Natural Sciences Q64' there is also a degree 'Mathematics and Physics Q77', but you can only transfer a max of 120 credits to that one. Or there is the 'Open degree' where you make up your own mix of modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate.)
    I studied 90 points a year for 3 years and 60 in my last year, while working full-time. Assuming the other commenter was correct and you could transfer over 180 credits, that still leaves 180 to do and there is no way you could do that in a year. I don't think they actually let anyone sign up for that much (sometimes you hear about people signing up to just over 120 but it's very rare, and I doubt they'd let you without having any prior OU experience).

Looking back, I probably could've managed 120 points a year, if I sorted out my time management a bit better. It wouldn't have been fun though. With 90 I still managed a social life and regular Saturday overtime for extra money.

2 years should be do-able if you're organised. 1 will not be.
    Thanks - I am not too bothered about working on saturdays. However I will have to work a steady 40-50 hour week. So trying to fit too much more in is probably not a good idea.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've just been through the process of an OU credit transfer application, it is fairly straight forward and should give you a good head start on degree program.

From my experience I would say make sure you apply as early as possible as the application can take a long while to be assessed, it was nearly 12 weeks in my case. The other tip i would give is to keep following up on your application by phone on a regular basis. There was a serious issue with my application that I only found out about eight weeks into the process when i called for an update. At that point my application was being rejected as the transcript from my previous university (Liverpool) did not have a specific comment on that the OU look for. Rather than call or mail me to sort this out the transfer team were about to return my application documents! Fortunately with checking up, i could prevent the document pack being returned and within 24 hours could provide them with a clarification letter from my previous uni that my Post Grad Diploma was gained through Masters level study - after that my application was processed as normal.

The other point worth noting is that the OU have an 8 year expiry on credit from the time of your last study. With your previous study finishing in 2009, you would need to ensure your degree is finished of by 2017 otherwise the credit will be invalid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zenistar)
    Hi

I've just been through the process of an OU credit transfer application, it is fairly straight forward and should give you a good head start on degree program.

From my experience I would say make sure you apply as early as possible as the application can take a long while to be assessed, it was nearly 12 weeks in my case. The other tip i would give is to keep following up on your application by phone on a regular basis. There was a serious issue with my application that I only found out about eight weeks into the process when i called for an update. At that point my application was being rejected as the transcript from my previous university (Liverpool) did not have a specific comment on that the OU look for. Rather than call or mail me to sort this out the transfer team were about to return my application documents! Fortunately with checking up, i could prevent the document pack being returned and within 24 hours could provide them with a clarification letter from my previous uni that my Post Grad Diploma was gained through Masters level study - after that my application was processed as normal.

The other point worth noting is that the OU have an 8 year expiry on credit from the time of your last study. With your previous study finishing in 2009, you would need to ensure your degree is finished of by 2017 otherwise the credit will be invalid.
    Thanks - I'm actually sorting it all out now, to send off tomorrow.

I now have an official transcript (which cost me £10), and nearly got myself upset when I read I needed proof of what was in my modules! The course has changed since I left. Well with googling I've found the old pages so will print them off.

It says I can pick three course, so I think I am going to stick: open degree and natural sciences down. I don't really want an open degree but if it will save me 6 grand and a year or two I will do it.

So it will go off recorded tomorrow, and we shall see. I am hoping they are sensible and transfer most of the modules over. But only time will tell.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with the application.

I also had problems with the proof of what was in each module, fortunately I managed to find a PDF copy of the syllabus for each module on an old backup drive.

For the course you can put the credit towards - it may be worth chatting to a study advisor or going over the degree details online, often you can gain an interim qualification with the OU on the way to your degree, e.g. a certificate or diploma in your chosen subject.

It seems the time limit differs with bachelor / masters studies also, i had a quick google over breakfast and saw that a bachelor degree's credit expiry was linked to the amount of credit gained and had a max limit of 16 years for the smallest credit allocation.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The 'best before' date in terms of credit transfer does vary according to subject, as well - so, for subjects where your knowledge can go out of date faster, it may be shorter. You need to check for the specific qualification you plan to work towards.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys - how do I get to chat to these study advisors? When I called the number on the website to ask about it, all I got was a vague answer basically saying they don't know. Is there direct numbers to speak to someone who is relevant? Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Your best to speak directly to the credit transfer team. I don't have their number to hand but if you call the main OU number they should put you through and / or give you the direct line.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.