Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a dreadful feeling that I am going to get rejected at all five universities I am about to apply for. First and foremost, I am terrible when it comes to formal interviews and answering questions, my knowledge of mathematics is horrendous, my intelligence levels seems to be the same as a 10 year old, if not younger! I am slow at processing information sometimes, and I get confused ever so easily and to be honest: I always give myself a headache for trying hard, and just giving it that little bit extra. I just HATE the way I am! I want a career, a degree, a normal life and just to be a bit more clever and intelligent, but the comparison between me and my boyfriend is immense because he has a MASTERS! Clearly a clever cloggs, and I have a pathetic OCR/BTEC qualification, and I resorted to doing a Distance course to do my Access because as stupid as I am, I failed the maths assessment. What is wrong with me?! I really don't feel confident. You guys, I really admire your intelligence and your knowledge. I just wish my brain was like a sponge to absorb it all.

ReputationRep:
    Hey DON'T EVER be ashamed of a BTEC! Although I'm not badmouthing A levels, doing a BTEC was far more beneficial for me than A levels and I felt so much more prepared when I went to university, and they certainly did not prevent me from getting to where I wanted to be (I did Molecular and cellular biology at Glasgow and holding an offer for medicine at Leeds) They do not limit you - yes some unis may be picky about them but then they are clearly not right for you. What would you like to study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatonethere)
    Hey DON'T EVER be ashamed of a BTEC! Although I'm not badmouthing A levels, doing a BTEC was far more beneficial for me than A levels and I felt so much more prepared when I went to university, and they certainly did not prevent me from getting to where I wanted to be (I did Molecular and cellular biology at Glasgow and holding an offer for medicine at Leeds) They do not limit you - yes some unis may be picky about them but then they are clearly not right for you. What would you like to study?
    Thank you! I would love to study health and social care / social work, because I want to work as a support worker for people with learning disabilities, and a degree will help me towards this route because I want to know everything in more depth so I can work with children, teenagers and adults.

ReputationRep:
    Ok a support worker or a social worker? They are two very different roles - if you want to be a support worker (which I did for 4 years!) you do not need a degree to do this - and to be honest having a degree won't necessarily get you any further in the job (a nursing degree however would).

If you are talking about a social worker then you do need a degree to do this - however for this I would recommend doing social work alone, and choosing a university which is accredited for this. If you are undecided but still want to study, it is possible to be a part time or "bank" support worker which was what I did to get extra money.

ReputationRep:
    The important thing is putting in the work now and getting it done, not just your UCAS but your own studies. Write the best personal statement you can, get help here etc and then just focus on getting the best possible results. Don't underestimate your BTEC either because a lot of people on my access course last year got reduced offers from universities because of their previous qualifications, including poor A levels.

I'm not confident about getting offers but honestly there are always good universities/courses available through clearing (though admittedly near impossible for the higher ranked ones) and I am confident that even if I don't get offers the amount of work I'm putting in now will allow me to get high grades and apply through clearing or worse case scenario allow me to get offers the year after that. Just focus on doing the best you can while you can and you will make it in one way or another.

ReputationRep:
    My anxiety went through the roof. I have four conditional offers!
    Thank you guys, so much! For putting me at ease. You are all fabulous, and very best of luck too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paula92xo)
    My anxiety went through the roof. I have four conditional offers!
    Thank you guys, so much! For putting me at ease. You are all fabulous, and very best of luck too.
    Congrats

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.