Turn on thread page Beta

Free antivirus (etc.) software - which one? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm wanting something for free, that can scan the pc for viruses, work on a real-time basis, and also remove viruses that have been detected.

From what TSR tells me, Avast! And AVG seem to be good. Which of the 2 is better and why? Are there any better alternatives out there?

I currently have a windows 8 pc:

Just recently downloaded and used malware bytes anti-malware (MBAM).

Windows defender (which I can't manage to switch on since downloading MBAM - could someone help me with this please?) is already installed, apparently the new name for MSE.

Tl;Dr
    1. Avast!, AVG or something else?
    2. Windows defender with MBAM? How to switch back on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Avast is good, you can use all three (Avast,WD,MB)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    Avast is good, you can use all three (Avast,WD,MB)
    Thanks. I'm not sued how to switch on WD...do you know?
    The pc came with a trial version of norton (now expired), and as you know I recently installed MBAM. I'm not sure which of the 2 is doing this, and I don't know how to sort it out. The pc tells me to go to the action centre but I couldn't find this last night.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    Thanks. I'm not sued how to switch on WD...do you know?
    The pc came with a trial version of norton (now expired), and as you know I recently installed MBAM. I'm not sure which of the 2 is doing this, and I don't know how to sort it out. The pc tells me to go to the action centre but I couldn't find this last night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just realised that WD switches itself off when there's a competing anti virus programme. Avast is basically like WD but even better, so I wouldn't fret too much if you can't turn it on. But if you want it still on, try this
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/wi...-in-windows-8/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2ndClass)
    I just realised that WD switches itself off when there's a competing anti virus programme. Avast is basically like WD but even better, so I wouldn't fret too much if you can't turn it on. But if you want it still on, try this
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/wi...-in-windows-8/
    awesome dude :yy:

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think about the additional instalment of comodo firewall? I saw it mentioned on another thread here...

Windows defender has firewall, but I left it switched off to avoid clashes with MBAM and avast

ReputationRep:
    Avast! is a good call, and it performs well in tests: http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparatives-reviews/

I would normally recommend installing an application firewall like Comodo, partly because it's much more developed and performs better at picking up malicious and suspicious activity, but I also find it easier to customise/disable and so on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Avast! is a good call, and it performs well in tests: http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparatives-reviews/

I would normally recommend installing an application firewall like Comodo, partly because it's much more developed and performs better at picking up malicious and suspicious activity, but I also find it easier to customise/disable and so on
    Cool, thanks buddy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.