Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it even possible to secure funding with studentships and scholarships with a 2.2 UG degree ? Or is that out of the question ?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what it's in and what you want to study at postgrad.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm not sure about in the sciences but in the arts and humanities, it's pretty much impossible. Easier to just try and self-fund after a few years of having earned some money, imho :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    For a Masters in a subject that is either popular or where there is limited funding like Arts/Soc Sci, its practically impossible. However, once you have a Masters then getting PhD funding becomes easier - the Masters doesnt 'wipe out' the low undergrad result but it does tell a University you've got more potential than your undergrad grade might suggest.

ReputationRep:
    The Masters is in a science/medical subject. Immunology/Infection & Immunity related, just looking at studentships at various universities, they all have eligibility criteria of 2.1 minimum. Even though the acceptance requirement says a second class bachelors is accepted.

ReputationRep:
    Then you are still in contention for a place - but wont be considered for any funding.

ReputationRep:
    It might be possible to get funding if it is part of a 1+3 phd programme which is in high demand (i.e., not popular) but I think it will be a bit of a struggle given the competition you will face from 2.i and 1st class applicants.

It might be worth contacting your alma mater as they might be more lenient and give you a discount (probably won't fund the entire programme though). From there, if you do well, then you might find a funded studentship phd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    The Masters is in a science/medical subject. Immunology/Infection & Immunity related, just looking at studentships at various universities, they all have eligibility criteria of 2.1 minimum. Even though the acceptance requirement says a second class bachelors is accepted.
    There is a massive difference between them letting you study there and them paying for you to study there. As someone who works in a Medical Sciences Faculty, I would be surprised if anyone gave you masters funding with a 2.2.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.