Turn on thread page Beta

So - the flat above are horrible watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. Sorry if this is a bit long.

I'm living in halls at university as a first year. They are not owned by the university I should add, but by another company. I love my flat and get on with everyone I've met so far. Everyone in my flat is a first year but we are all respectful and quiet (yes,really haha).

Over the past 2 weeks we've had a real issue with the flat above. It's an all boys, non-freshers flat, and they make an ungodly amount of noise and are just awful to live under. I wouldn't mind if it were in the daytime, but I'm talking banging and screaming at 2am, posting rude letters through peoples doors,playing loud music, constantly slamming doors and even playing football in the kitchen. On a few occasions they have hung out of their bedroom windows and thrown eggs, juice and all manner of things at all the windows below them.

We checked with the flat below us to ask if they hear a lot of noise from us, but they don't, so we know it's not just them walking around that we can hear through flimsy walls, they seem to be making a real effort to slam around. We have heard complaints from other flats about them,too.

So we tried talking to them face to face (probably not the best idea in hindsight), but they don't answer their front door to us. We have put in a complaint to the main office who said "We'll have a word", but nothing's been done. Security have tried visiting but the culprits stop making noise for a short period, then as soon as security have left it starts up again.

Does anyone know where we could take it from here? I understand there might be little we can do but I'd appreciate if anyone has any ideas. None of us can afford to move out and look for somewhere else, and I appreciate we are students and everyone wants to have a laugh, but these guys are not freshers, and I would hope they'd settle down a bit and actually do some work. Banging and shouting at 2am every morning is killing me

ReputationRep:
    Get your whole flat to keep making complaints about them until something is done.

I have a similar problem with the flat two above ours and we were considering making a noise complaint to the council or ringing the police over it which might sound really extreme but when you've been woken up at 4am by them getting drunk and smashing the fire alarm for the 5th time in two weeks or you're being kept awake all night by them having loud parties every night for a week and you're that tired, it seems like the most practical thing to do.
    To be fair, it is still an option that you could do.

When making complaints to security/main office, threaten to make a complaint to the council or demand that you want some rent back or something. Even if you're not going to do it, it might force them to take it more seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Get in touch with the environmental agency via your local council. They'll turn up and record the noise and if it's over the limit then the culprits will be fined.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys. I went home this weekend to get away from the nuisance, but I'll be sure to use your advice when I'm back. Fingers crossed

Posted from TSR Mobile

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.