Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My personal statement is 3964 characters long and on Microsoft Word it is 45 lines (including a line between paragraphs)
    When I put it on UCAS, it's 4 lines too long.
    How can I resolve this? I can't afford to delete 4 lines of text!
    Would it look stupid without paragraphing?

Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's better not to remove paragraphs as it becomes very difficult to read a blob of text - I see this a lot with PS as a PS helper and find you can lose structure in that way. Is there any waffle you can cut out? You might be able to get away with going on a new line, but not having a blank line between paragraphs if you can't see any other way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    It's better not to remove paragraphs as it becomes very difficult to read a blob of text - I see this a lot with PS as a PS helper and find you can lose structure in that way. Is there any waffle you can cut out? You might be able to get away with going on a new line, but not having a blank line between paragraphs if you can't see any other way.
    I have them currently in my UCAS form as just a new line for a new paragraph, not a space between, but not just 1 big block of text. I do want a line between paragraphs, but it's taken so long to get down to the characters I'm on, and 4 more lines would require me to cut down alot more characters and I would lose some good content if I had to..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamEastie)
    Hi,

My personal statement is 3964 characters long and on Microsoft Word it is 45 lines (including a line between paragraphs)
    When I put it on UCAS, it's 4 lines too long.
    How can I resolve this? I can't afford to delete 4 lines of text!
    Would it look stupid without paragraphing?

Thanks
    Is it Veranda size 11, that's the estimated equivalent to it on Word.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem - 4 lines under in word but 7 over in UCAS. UCAS isn't as wide so your text kinda gets squashed. I ended up not having any spaces for paragraphs as it was clear where each section ended and books are the same - they don't have spaces between every paragraph! Also to compromise my statement for the sake of lines wasn't something I nor my teacher/s were prepared to do.

Don't worry about it. As long as its not a continual piece of text you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlyHigh_er)
    Is it Veranda size 11, that's the estimated equivalent to it on Word.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was told Times New Roman size 12 with a 3.71cm margin left and right

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter. I'd much rather have 4 more reasons why they should pick me rather than 4 blank lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamEastie)
    I was told Times New Roman size 12 with a 3.71cm margin left and right
    The margins makes no difference. Get your PS up on word change the font and size an call it a different file name so you can go back to the old one. Then cut bits out to 4000 characters/47 lines and see if it fits on veranda size 11. I haven't sent mine off yet but this is what we got told and people in my sixth form have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, when you have finished your application, do you pay and send to the universities or does it go straight to the school for references and then they send it off when they are ready?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayqwe)
    I was just wondering, when you have finished your application, do you pay and send to the universities or does it go straight to the school for references and then they send it off when they are ready?
    It goes to the school first so they can attach references and double check everything before they send it off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Mine was a few lines over but I've managed to cut things out. I'm afraid there's not much you can do about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ucas removes all paragraphing and turns it into a big block of text anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    often joining sentences and rewording things can get it down loads! In about 30 mins I got mine down from 4600 to under 4000, by doing this

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.