Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Just as the title suggests, I want to drop out of university. I've just started my second year but I've come to the realisation that university isn't going to help me at all with what I want to do, which is open a business.

I'm studying a business course but I still feel as though I'm learning a lot of theory, things that will not actually benefit me in real life. The only reason I came to university was because I was hoping to learn some things that will benefit me when it comes to my own business, NOT because I want a degree as I'm not planning on ever getting a professional job.

Just want to hear some other views on this? And before anyone mentions this, I'm not interested in having something to fall back on. I can't put myself through another 3 years (I'm on a 4 year course) of this tourture. I'd rather get some real life experience and work on my business as well instead of wasting my time and money at university.

ReputationRep:
    there is more than one way in which a university can help you open your own business. You can make a lot of contacts at university who may eventually provide you with things like publicity, help with finance, legal advice and perhaps customers and employees.

I'm interested in why you think of your course as torture and what exactly you plan to do if you leave. Do you have a business idea and a plan for starting your own business? If not then acquiring a degree would seem a good use of your time.

I've seen a failure rate quoted of 1 in 3 new businesses within 3 years. Although your course may not seem very helpful yet it will start to go into more depth now. presumably you have a year in industry next year if it's a 4 year course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parentlurker)
    there is more than one way in which a university can help you open your own business. You can make a lot of contacts at university who may eventually provide you with things like publicity, help with finance, legal advice and perhaps customers and employees.

I'm interested in why you think of your course as torture and what exactly you plan to do if you leave. Do you have a business idea and a plan for starting your own business? If not then acquiring a degree would seem a good use of your time.

I've seen a failure rate quoted of 1 in 3 new businesses within 3 years. Although your course may not seem very helpful yet it will start to go into more depth now. presumably you have a year in industry next year if it's a 4 year course?
    It's 4 years because it's part time. If I was to drop out today then I know exactly what I will do, i have an idea which I'm ready to run with.

You say it university is good for establishing contacts, 9 grand a year just to establish contacts?! I can establish even more for free by networking.

The failure rate of new businesses doesn't scare me in the slightest, there are many different factors as to why they may have failed, poor planning, poor mentality etc. I see myself as a capable businessman, without trying to sound cocky or big headed at all, which is why all these new business stats don't scare me. And if my idea that I want to run with now doesn't work then it's back to the drawing board and I'll just start again with a new idea, and so on until I've gt the winning formula.

I just feel like I'm ready to live life and university is seriously holding me back

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    the one in 3 who fail quickly probably thought the same But if you have funding, premises if you need them and have researched the market and your degree is part-time why not start in the rest of your time? You've already committed to the 9k for this year anyway.

ReputationRep:
    From previous experience I don't think anyone here can help you with the decision. But I would say that since you are part time why not start planning and doing the things needed before you drop out and if it works out, drop out but if it doesn't then you still have uni. The worst that could happen is you drop out, your business fails and you are on the dole because you cant get a minimum wage job. That's reality! But it could work out for but from experience I would just finish what you started....

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.