Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone else on here NOT read the Harry Potter books? watch

ReputationRep:
    Nearly everyone around my age (18) has read all the books and although i love reading, i just couldnt be asked to read the books. Ive seen the movies and theyre amazing though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Read the books! The films are well made, but the books are better

ReputationRep:
    Nah, always lost interest.

Me, not interested at all.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I haven't. I really dislike the films though, so maybe I should give the books a go to see why everyone appreciates it so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I always find myself surprised when people haven't read them. I know a lot of them word for word, having read them many times! Personally I think they are brilliant, but each to their own I guess. You don't have to like them

ReputationRep:
    I haven't yet, they're on my amazon wishlist so when half term comes I can get them and read them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    Nearly everyone around my age (18) has read all the books and although i love reading, i just couldnt be asked to read the books. Ive seen the movies and theyre amazing though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm 24, I started reading the books when they came out but got bored halfway through the second, and couldn't find the energy to finish them. So I gave up. I enjoyed the films, but found the writing poor and I'm glad because I decided to acquaint myself Thomas Hardy and Salinger at that age

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even watched the films

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What. The. F*ck. Everyone should have to read them. There's no valid excuse not to in my opinion - short of illiteracy

Also OP, it's "couldn't be arsed" - "couldn't be asked" is not a real phrase.

ReputationRep:
    I've never read them. I've seen the films though.

ReputationRep:
    Read the first one - found it pretty derivative and mediocre, so never bothered with the rest.

Harry Potter is fantasy for people who don't like fantasy.

ReputationRep:
    I read most of the first one but got bored and never read the rest, I know everyone says the first is the worst book but I'm sorry the first should be one of the best to make people want to carry on reading the series and it really just didn't do it for me. Not really that much of a fan of the films either seen the first 2 fully and seen most of the 3rd, 4th and 5th (my dad likes to watch them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cant_think_of_name)
    I always find myself surprised when people haven't read them. I know a lot of them word for word, having read them many times! Personally I think they are brilliant, but each to their own I guess. You don't have to like them
    If you've watched the films, there really isnt any point in reading the books as you already know whats going to happen right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got bored halfway through the first one. Watched the first film and found it boring also. I'm not one for magical/fantasy based fiction though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    If you've watched the films, there really isnt any point in reading the books as you already know whats going to happen right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's heaps of backstories and other characters in the books that obviously aren't in the film. Anyone who read what happened to Lupin and didn't cry has no soul. And there are funnier lines in the books. Fred and George are golden, they really are.

ReputationRep:
    I read all of the books like 5 times each when I was a kid. Haven't read them in a while, tbh...though I can pretty much remember every single detail. Also, watched the movies like 5 times each. And countless fanfiction, haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    There's heaps of backstories and other characters in the books that obviously aren't in the film. Anyone who read what happened to Lupin and didn't cry has no soul. And there are funnier lines in the books. Fred and George are golden, they really are.
    WRONG.

And if anyone is reading, they should NOT read the final book because it's just too predictable and shallow and fanfic styled.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I read the first 4 books, until I reached the age of about 13 and became too old for childrens' stories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedArrow)
    WRONG.

And if anyone is reading, they should NOT read the final book because it's just too predictable and shallow and fanfic styled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The final book is my least favourite of the series. I haven't read it since it first came out. But you can't say that there isn't more detail about the characters in the books.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.