The Student Room Group

German/Russian or Japanese/Chinese

I am currently studying German and Chinese A Level and I would love to take on one of these languages at university. At the moment I am considering a combination of German with beginners Russian, or Japanese with Chinese (Oxbridge offer this combination in your third year at uni I believe). I haven't learnt Russian or Japanese before, but I'd be interested in learning a new language. Which combination do you think is more useful?

I also love English Literature and History, and was considering a combination of one of the above languages with English or History, but I have been told it is much harder to get a place at the top universities with one of those combinations. What do you think? Thanks
It's a hard choice - Chinese and German are in more demand than Russian and Japanese but between the 2 beginner's languages I really don't think there's much to choose between them. I think that part comes down to where your interests lie. Although, to be honest you could be better off continuing with German and Chinese.

And as for combining it - depends how you define harder. It is harder in that fewer top universities will offer combined courses so you might be limited on where you can apply. But I wouldn't say that the entry requirements are any more stringent that for other courses at that university.
Reply 2
Thanks for your opinion. Unfortunately not many universities offer the combination of German and Chinese, but that would be the ideal combination. I wish I could apply for German and Chinese at some universities and a different combination at other universities, but my personal statement would be quite crowded!
Original post by sophiepg
Thanks for your opinion. Unfortunately not many universities offer the combination of German and Chinese, but that would be the ideal combination. I wish I could apply for German and Chinese at some universities and a different combination at other universities, but my personal statement would be quite crowded!

Newcastle do German and Chinese - I don't know if you've looked there. Naturally as a Newcastle student, I do recommend them :tongue:

And the Personal statement makes it tricky - I applied for German, Italian and Japanese at 2 unis, Japanese at 2 and French, German and Japanese at 1 and it was hard enough finding the balance with that!
Also, about your comment for combining with English Lit or History - you could do German, Chinese and English Lit/or History as part of the the Combined Honours course at Newcastle.
The standard offer for that would be AAB with and A or B in English Lit if you chose to do that, or with an A Level in History for that. However, you wouldn't be able to continue both languages after first year.

Alternatively you could just get your Lit and History from the cultural modules on a languages degree programme :smile:
Reply 5
Wow that's 4 languages in one personal statement! I was considering doing a similar thing but I agree, it would be hard to get a good balance. The German, Chinese and Eng Lit/History suggestion sounds really interesting, I will definitely look into that. But taking 3 subjects definitely sounds hard, considering most people take only one subject!

At the moment I am considering applying to Oxbridge too, so I'm trying to choose between the two combinations I previously mentioned, seeing as Oxbridge don't offer the combination of European languages with Oriental languages. But I will definitely look into the courses Newcastle offer :smile:
Original post by sophiepg
Wow that's 4 languages in one personal statement! I was considering doing a similar thing but I agree, it would be hard to get a good balance. The German, Chinese and Eng Lit/History suggestion sounds really interesting, I will definitely look into that. But taking 3 subjects definitely sounds hard, considering most people take only one subject!

At the moment I am considering applying to Oxbridge too, so I'm trying to choose between the two combinations I previously mentioned, seeing as Oxbridge don't offer the combination of European languages with Oriental languages. But I will definitely look into the courses Newcastle offer :smile:

Good luck! And feel free to message if you've got any more questions, espec about Newcastle - I have my own advice thread on here for it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending