Turn on thread page Beta

Do i have a case or can anyone help?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I started university in Sept 2010, before you start you receive a letter from student finance detailing your finance and fees for the academic year. This includes your tuition fee amount and your loan/grant. Everything was fine in my first year I received the correct amounts and passed it, the next year Sept (2011) I decided to take a work experience year (year in industry) I informed SFE of this and the letter they sent had the same amount of loan/grant as the year before and a much smaller amount for the course. This persuaded me to take a position in the city of my university (which was away from home).
    I signed for student accommodation for the year as I was aware my loans would cover it. It was until december when I received a call from the university asking where I was, I told them I was on placement and they thought I should have been on the course. I thought this was quite weird as SFE had already paid the experience year fee to the university (which was much less, so they would have noticed) I called SFE about this and they said they would look into it. By this time i had already signed up to my halls and spent a large amount of what i thought was the correct amount. They then sent me a letter with the correct amounts, which was 4k less than what i had been told i was going to receive.This was a huge shock to me and instantly started causing me distress. This then led me to spend my entire savings and lend money from family just to pay for my accommodation. I couldn't take the strain as I couldn't get it out of my head so I left my position at the work experience to go home. I couldn't even complete my university course I had started because they would have deducted the amount I owed to what I would receive the next year, so I couldn't even afford to complete my course. Since then i had been very depressed and I am still in financial difficulties because of it, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about it and how i wasted 2 years of my life because of something that wasn't my fault. I don't feel they should be able to get away with this, as i did nothing wrong yet I have paid the full price both mentally and financially. If the amount would have been correct in the first place I would never have taken the position or signed for the accommodation. I have only recently found all the paperwork from SFE that proves all of this which is why I am asking for help now.

Sorry if this is a little long, but if anybody has any useful information, similar situation or just some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so theres alot there to go through so i'm going to try and break it down best i can but i need a bit more info from you first.

1. Was your year in industry paid or unpaid?
    2. Did you just decide to do it or did you come to an agreement with your department/personal tutor?
    3. The way you described makes it sound as if you never officially transferred onto the course with the integrated year in industry - can you remember if this was the case?

Let me know and i'll do my best to advise you from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcussanny)
    I started university in Sept 2010, before you start you receive a letter from student finance detailing your finance and fees for the academic year. This includes your tuition fee amount and your loan/grant. Everything was fine in my first year I received the correct amounts and passed it, the next year Sept (2011) I decided to take a work experience year (year in industry) I informed SFE of this and the letter they sent had the same amount of loan/grant as the year before and a much smaller amount for the course. This persuaded me to take a position in the city of my university (which was away from home).
    I signed for student accommodation for the year as I was aware my loans would cover it. It was until december when I received a call from the university asking where I was, I told them I was on placement and they thought I should have been on the course. I thought this was quite weird as SFE had already paid the experience year fee to the university (which was much less, so they would have noticed) I called SFE about this and they said they would look into it. By this time i had already signed up to my halls and spent a large amount of what i thought was the correct amount. They then sent me a letter with the correct amounts, which was 4k less than what i had been told i was going to receive.This was a huge shock to me and instantly started causing me distress. This then led me to spend my entire savings and lend money from family just to pay for my accommodation. I couldn't take the strain as I couldn't get it out of my head so I left my position at the work experience to go home. I couldn't even complete my university course I had started because they would have deducted the amount I owed to what I would receive the next year, so I couldn't even afford to complete my course. Since then i had been very depressed and I am still in financial difficulties because of it, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about it and how i wasted 2 years of my life because of something that wasn't my fault. I don't feel they should be able to get away with this, as i did nothing wrong yet I have paid the full price both mentally and financially. If the amount would have been correct in the first place I would never have taken the position or signed for the accommodation. I have only recently found all the paperwork from SFE that proves all of this which is why I am asking for help now.

Sorry if this is a little long, but if anybody has any useful information, similar situation or just some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    When you sign the declaration, it states on there that they can change the amounts given to you if they are incorrect.

If you thought it was odd they were giving you the same amount of money for a placement year, why did you sign a contract for something you couldn't afford if you were not to receive that money from SFE?

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.