Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I started a full-time job last month and I signed off the day before I started work and I received a letter saying that I was no longer entitled to housing benefits and JSA. I received another two payments last month but I didn't notice at first because it was the end of the month so I thought that I had been paid by my new employer. When I found out, I called the job centre straight away and they said that everything was ok but I think I might have been paid too much.

    - I received £131 the day after I started work and another £9 a couple of days later. Does this make sense at all? Is it possible that I received this money now because the payment was delayed in the beginning?

    - I also continued receiving housing benefits and the local council said that they hadn't been informed about my change of circumstances. I will have to pay them back this month.

    I'm worried that I might get into trouble even though I tried to sort everything out so I'd be glad if someone could give me some advice.

    You'll be fine. It just takes a while for all the paperwork to get sorted out. Just pay them back when they ask.

    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    Your benefits are paid in arrears.
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo


"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.