Turn on thread page Beta

Best way to keep on top of AS work? watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay I started my a levels last month and it's been a massive leap from gcse. I'm planning on studying chemical engineering at uni and looking at the entry requirements for my desired choices I know I need to do a lot of work.

I do revise for my subjects but I find that sometimes I'll spend lots of time on one topic and this means that I won't have time to do other topics and up neglecting or forgetting to revise certain topics/subjects. And because I'm doing five subjects it's really hard to focus on everything without getting too caught up in a certain part of the syllabus.

I really want to get top grades in my subjects especially maths, physics and chemistry does anyone have any study or revision tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately you will never have as much time as you would like, so the best you can do is to prioritize ( by making a list of course!) List each topic and highlight according to urgency e.g. orange for very urgent. I do this but I also write how long I think I'll need to study that topic..
    I'll then look at my timetable and see how many hours I have that week and see how much I'm realistically able to achieve.. not only does this make your study periods more productive because you know what you need to do, but it reduces stress because you know you're doing as much as you can.

Ultimately you should ensure you study the things that you don't understand first and foremost.. you can't change the amount of time these topics take to study.. the understanding process is always the longest! With regards to those you do understand, spend a maximum of 15 minutes making some brief bullet points ready for revision time. Remember that the reason you are studying at the moment is to understand all this new information - that's the first stage. If you understand it revision at exam time will be so much easier. Try and look over your notes each week to make sure you still understand everything, but this is easier said than done because you're always too busy!

Alternatively, you could say to yourself 'I'm just going to spend x amount of time on this and move on'.. so as to try and cover everything you need to. But id really only apply this to simple concepts where you can avoid extensive notes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just prioritise your time properly. Make sure you make the effort to understand the material :yep:

ReputationRep:
    - do homework the day its set
    - do lots of work
    - work efficiently with regular breaks (every 2hours for me)
    - understand the material, for maths use examsolutions.net to consolidate understanding. Try to do all questions

Worked for me, I did an insane amount of work last year in summary:
    Maths and Further:All CGP and Edexcel books completed and all past papers + solomons finished
    History:Flashcards for Russia, Women's Suffrage and Civil Rights + typed notes and all exam questions
    Economics: typed notes+a book completed+exam questions and answers in the style of the markscheme

it is a lot of work but it is worth it, I didn't have much of a social life outside of school but well worth it for 4As at AS

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.