The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Why is Sussex seriously dropping down league tables?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by curlycurly
I was planning on firming Sussex but this has totally spooked me? What course did you do? I was planning in geography.. :frown:

Original post by Chriswhjay
Sounds like I'm at an entirely different university if I'm perfectly honest. I absolutely adore my course, my school (Lifesci - I do biomed) is great. The tutors are always available, the course is engaging, the online facilities of lecture recording etc are great. The library is massive with almost any book you'd ever need for your course. The campus is right on the sussex downs so in first year i went and walked on the downs a lot, but its close enough to brighton for the amazing club and party life - but brighton also has a massive cultural scene. The north laine and the lanes are lovely, so many live music events going on all the time. Always something to do, the beach the pier... and its right on your doorstep.

Its a great cross between being in the city, and being in nature, and I love it.

A LOT of people here will butthurt this university though, simply because we have one of the largest most politically active group of left wing students going. They're all over activism, unfair tuition fees, grants for palestinians, you name it they've protested about it.

You're tuition fees won't be skyrocketing as soon as you arrive, and you won't be placed in a room with 3 other people in it. Ludicrous. I dont know of anyone at all who that happened to across any accommodation. True the accommodation is quite expensive, but you will find that in general for brighton. If you want cheap as chips accommodation, you're better off going up north. South is pricier, not as bad as london, but its not cheap!

In all my time here (second year), I've never had a lecturer not turn up, and I've never EVER encountered a lecturer who does not know what they're talking about. Quite on contrary infact, most of my lecturers are drs/professors and are ahead of the textbooks that published, so we get up to date info that they're researching themselves!

If you liked sussex, please dont be put off by the stupid wannabe activists who whinge and moan about the chancellor. He said he hadnt learnt much, and honestly I imagine its because he's spent most of his time engaging in sit ins, protests and marches in an attempt to rage against the government (in this case the uni leadership). I can imagine his type, the uni has a fair few! Go ahead and google the sussex5. We aren't all like that, its a very small minority, but they're the minority who generally shout the loudest!

As for the international student thing, we ranked 46 in the entire world for international students coming here. If we treated them that badly, we'd be way down. The geography department is also very good I've heard, its highly ranked i believe and was rated as world leading research in the latest assessments..

If you want honest advice about sussex drop me an email. But for the love of god if you liked it dont be put off by some whining 3rd year!

I couldn't have put it any better as Chriswhjay.

I've been at Sussex for 3 years, now on to my 4th year doing an MSc.

It truly is a unique experience, especially with the much cleaner air.

It's filled with diversity, as Chriswhjay quite rightly put it.

The reason for the downfall, is due to the protests.

I would strongly recommend Sussex. Great nightlife, the SEA-SIDE!!, hiking on the south downs!! all-nighters in the library!
(edited 9 years ago)
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by Pkysam
in the sense that it is irritating that they insist on outsourcing everything at the university of sussex (though frankly this is taking place at most universities and is a complete disaster)

What's wrong with outsourcing things like cleaning contracts? Isn't it just a good way to save money and has nothing to do with teaching/research

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending