Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started my course two weeks ago, but I'm not entirely sure that I want to study anymore. However, I'm going to give myself a couple more weeks and hope for the best, but if I honestly can't do it, I'm going to drop out of my course and try again in the future when I feel like I am ready. My only problem is the finance side of things.
    I received a maintenance loan and a grant, and I learned through some questions here that I'd have to pay the grant back straightaway, so I haven't used any money from the grant yet in case I do decide to drop out. The thing I'm worried about is the fact that I have spent a lot of the Maintenance Loan on accommodation, text books, shopping and etc, and was wondering if they would ask me to pay the full amount of this back immediately too? I mean, I will most likely have been here for a month before I drop out, so I was wondering if they would say that I've spent too much of the loan in that month or whether I would have to pay it back when I earn £21,000 or whatever?
    Thanks in advance guys, any help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Your loan and grant will be pro rata'd over the time you have been there. So if you were there for half of the term you would be entitled to half the loan and grant received during that term.

It's not something you need to worry about too much though and if you do receive a letter requesting an amount you can't afford all you need is some very basic debt advice to arrange an affordable repayment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JWhitbread)
    I started my course two weeks ago, but I'm not entirely sure that I want to study anymore. However, I'm going to give myself a couple more weeks and hope for the best, but if I honestly can't do it, I'm going to drop out of my course and try again in the future when I feel like I am ready. My only problem is the finance side of things.
    I received a maintenance loan and a grant, and I learned through some questions here that I'd have to pay the grant back straightaway, so I haven't used any money from the grant yet in case I do decide to drop out. The thing I'm worried about is the fact that I have spent a lot of the Maintenance Loan on accommodation, text books, shopping and etc, and was wondering if they would ask me to pay the full amount of this back immediately too? I mean, I will most likely have been here for a month before I drop out, so I was wondering if they would say that I've spent too much of the loan in that month or whether I would have to pay it back when I earn £21,000 or whatever?
    Thanks in advance guys, any help would be appreciated
    Don't forget that if you have signed an agreement for accommodation, you would be liable to pay the rent for the term of the agreement. IE if you signed up to a tenancy for one year, you would have to pay rent for that year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    Don't forget that if you have signed an agreement for accommodation, you would be liable to pay the rent for the term of the agreement. IE if you signed up to a tenancy for one year, you would have to pay rent for that year.
    That is the case unless I can find someone else to have the room, which I don't think will be much of a problem.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.