Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, could a university raise my offer conditions if my predicted grades are higher than the typical offer?

ReputationRep:
    Call them up and ask

usually they never will, LSE I know don't

it would be extremely rare for them to go above their typical offer unless your are a retake student who previously hasn't met the grades.

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miffins123)
    Basically, could a university raise my offer conditions if my predicted grades are higher than the typical offer?
    The simple answer is yes, universities can offer whatever they like regardless of what their entry requirements actually specify. For example, on my law degree currently I've met people who have AAA, A*AB, ABB and A*BB.

I personally couldn't see why they would do that to you, but the simple answer is that yes they can if they want too.

ReputationRep:
    They can, but in rare cases. For your specific example, that won't happen unless you're retaking or have an interview and don't do so well.

ReputationRep:
    They can, but they are unlikely to. Any university can make anyone any offer they want. If, for example, a university finds that the standard of applications has gone up in a particular year, they may raise their entry requirements for that year. However, it's much much more usual to be given the standard offer. You could contact the university direct if you are worried.

ReputationRep:
    In the old days (well the 1980s) the higher your predicted grades the lower your offer in many cases - presumably if they liked you and thought you were worth attracting they gave lower offers. This is why there used to be quite a few unconditional or matriculation offers. Not sure if the higher prediction/lower offer idea still applies now, as they all seem to have standard offers, but it seems counter intuitive to put off the best students by making them higher offers.

ReputationRep:
    It's theoretically possible but extremely unlikely they'd do that unless as has been pointed out by others you're doing retakes.

A lot of people with predicted AAA grades would use ABB courses as an insurance and expect to be offered ABB accordingly (if they got an offer at all).

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.