Turn on thread page Beta

10-15lbs Timeframe? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I've made a lot of changes to my lifestyle by doing the following:
    1) Cut out mayonaise
    2) Reduced junk food to once a week (will probably go to twice a week soon)
    3) Reduced snacking, fizzy drinks, juices etc. I mainly drink water
    4) One small cup of tea with 1 sugar
    5) A lot more exercise, sometimes over an hour...nearly every single day - walking, cardio

I have about 8 weeks at University and was wondering how much weight it is possible to lose 'atleast'. I'm 146lbs right now and my ideal aim is 133lbs but even if I lose 6 pounds in the time I have here, I'll be happy.

I want a rough idea of how much is possible.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you know what you're doing/how to do it, you can easily and healthily lose 10lbs in a month, assuming you're not already really lean( obviously). And by 'if you know what you're doing' I mean, if you know how many calories you're burning/consuming each day, have a structured diet and exercise plan and keep track of and tweak things.

You don't really fall into that category(at the moment at least). Either just make a bit of an effort to be more active and eat healthier, and lose a few lbs here and there, or take a bit of time to plan everything out. It depends how committed you want to be to it and how much of a priority losing fat really is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    If you know what you're doing/how to do it, you can easily and healthily lose 10lbs in a month, assuming you're not already really lean( obviously). And by 'if you know what you're doing' I mean, if you know how many calories you're burning/consuming each day, have a structured diet and exercise plan and keep track of and tweak things.

You don't really fall into that category(at the moment at least). Either just make a bit of an effort to be more active and eat healthier, and lose a few lbs here and there, or take a bit of time to plan everything out. It depends how committed you want to be to it and how much of a priority losing fat really is.
    I don't understand, if I have been cutting the junk out of my diet slowly, daily exercise each day how shall I put in more effort? I find your post insulting. I have made many changes to my lifestyle and have researched plenty beforehand. I'm not in a rush to lose 10 lbs as they will come back quickly if I stopped doing what I was doing

ReputationRep:
    If you've lost 19lbs already you will most likely need to work harder to lose more. So in some ways I agree with the above poster, but being nasty wasn't necessary.

Basically you're in the healthy weight category and you will need to start making more changes or switching it up if you want to continue losing weight. That's what I have found anyway - I have lost 21lbs, BMI of 21.7 and now I'm finding it very hard to lose my last stone. I would suggest you try a proper, structured eating plan such as Slimming World - you've said about cutting out junk but you haven't mentioned what you're eating in your actual meals, which we would need to know to advise you properly. If you've cut out snacking that's great but if you're having say a big bowl of cereal/toast for breakfast, that's an area which can instantly be improved and help you carry on losing.

And your exercise - walking an hour a day is good but you could try running (Couch to 5k programme is great!) or swimming, Zumba classes, anything else. Walking is fine but you would burn many more calories doing something like running, you would probably burn the same if not more calories running for half an hour than you would walking for an hour. So say you kept up your walking but added in Couch to 5k, which is 30 mins 3 times a week, you would definitely see a weight loss boost.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    If you've lost 19lbs already you will most likely need to work harder to lose more. So in some ways I agree with the above poster, but being nasty wasn't necessary.

Basically you're in the healthy weight category and you will need to start making more changes or switching it up if you want to continue losing weight. That's what I have found anyway - I have lost 21lbs, BMI of 21.7 and now I'm finding it very hard to lose my last stone. I would suggest you try a proper, structured eating plan such as Slimming World or even Weight Watchers - you've said about cutting out junk but you haven't mentioned what you're eating in your actual meals, which we would need to know to advise you properly. If you've cut out snacking that's great but if you're having say a big bowl of cereal/toast for breakfast, that's an area which can instantly be improved and help you carry on losing.

And your exercise - walking an hour a day is good but you could try running (Couch to 5k programme is great!) or swimming, Zumba classes, anything else. Walking is fine but you would burn many more calories doing something like running, you would probably burn the same if not more calories running for half an hour than you would walking for an hour. So say you kept up your walking but added in Couch to 5k, which is 30 mins 3 times a week, you would definitely see a weight loss boost.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks for the reply!

I was overweight in 2012 and then cut down 19lbs by April 2013 where I was 142lbs and now I've gained an additional 4 pounds or so over the last few weeks (late August-September). I have started tracking everything I've eaten/drank since I came to University on the 28/9. So now this week I have been putting a lot of effort into cleansing my diet slowly, and want to reduce the junk food to once every 2-3 weeks. I've already seen a little results.

For meals I usually have:
    Sandwich - Brown bread, light butter which I don't use much of and a piece of chicken roll or ham.

Meals - Vegetables, beans, roast potatoes and a bit of meat (which I do need to improve on - I usually have kievs, pies, little cottage pie etc.) but am going to buy fillets.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't be bothered to restrict your diet, just control your portions. Cut everything by a third, then by a half. This is to reduce the size of your stomach so you feel full really quickly. Do this, walk whenever you can and you'll lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chihiro95)
    If you can't be bothered to restrict your diet, just control your portions. Cut everything by a third, then by a half. This is to reduce the size of your stomach so you feel full really quickly. Do this, walk whenever you can and you'll lose weight.
    What's with the atittude? If I was to restrict my diet to the extreme, I'd eventually give up on it whereas I'd prefer to lose weight at my own pace without feeling like I have to vegetables every single meal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuckinthemud2)
    What's with the atittude? If I was to restrict my diet to the extreme, I'd eventually give up on it whereas I'd prefer to lose weight at my own pace without feeling like I have to vegetables every single meal.
    What attitude? I was giving you advice. Did I mention eating only vegetables anywhere? No. The equation is simple; eat less, move more.
    What's the point in starting a thread, asking for advice then rejecting everyone's suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chihiro95)
    What attitude? I was giving you advice. Did I mention eating only vegetables anywhere? No. The equation is simple; eat less, move more.
    What's the point in starting a thread, asking for advice then rejecting everyone's suggestions?
    "if you can't be bothered" as if I've got all the time in the world to focus on my weight, I don't. I don't reject your suggestions, I have done them before and it works.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at asking a question and then getting really aggressive with the people answering.

You sound lovely.

ReputationRep:
    Eat around 500 calories under your maintenance (maintenance= weight in lbs x 15)

Do HIIT 2-3 times a week.

Cut out sugar and processed carbs (white bread, rice, pasta etc)

Eat more protein and healthy fats.

Should lose 1-2 lbs a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH)
    Lol at asking a question and then getting really aggressive with the people answering.

You sound lovely.
    I am an angel

ReputationRep:
    Update: No idea how much I''ve lost but I''ve cut down massively and increased the intensity of my workout for 3 weeks now next week will be a month

ReputationRep:
    No reason why you cannot achieve your goal within three months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    No reason why you cannot achieve your goal within three months.
    I think I need to lose less than 10lbs now to get to my goal.

What I have been doing is a lot of walking, eating healthier foods (calorie deficit) and cardio x3 per week - low impact + high intensity = 30-40mins

Only been three weeks yet

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand, if I have been cutting the junk out of my diet slowly, daily exercise each day how shall I put in more effort? I find your post insulting. I have made many changes to my lifestyle and have researched plenty beforehand. I'm not in a rush to lose 10 lbs as they will come back quickly if I stopped doing what I was doing
    I think he was suggesting you count the calories you consume and count the calories you burn. He may of expressed it in a way you found a bit harsh.

It's simple maths though, if you burn more calories than you consume you will lose the weight.

Good luck, I myself lost 2 stone in around 6 weeks a year ago and it changed my life for the better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben_K)
    I think he was suggesting you count the calories you consume and count the calories you burn. He may of expressed it in a way you found a bit harsh.

It's simple maths though, if you burn more calories than you consume you will lose the weight.

Good luck, I myself lost 2 stone in around 6 weeks a year ago and it changed my life for the better
    That was some time ago, it's fine now

you lose 2 stone in 6 weeks - Is that healthy? :eek:

It took me 2-3 months to lose a stone then another month to lose another 5lbs and I managed to keep that off. I'm predicting I'm at 143/144lbs, I'm clueless but I have cleansed my diet and been doing cardio 3 times per week for the past 3 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    That was some time ago, it's fine now

you lose 2 stone in 6 weeks - Is that healthy? :eek:

It took me 2-3 months to lose a stone then another month to lose another 5lbs and I managed to keep that off. I'm predicting I'm at 143/144lbs, I'm clueless but I have cleansed my diet and been doing cardio 3 times per week for the past 3 weeks.
    Not sure, but I seemed to be fine. I cut back on bread and fizzy drinks. Infact I only drank water. However as for my normal diet that remained the same and I ate the same quantity.

My diet however doesn't include chocolate or crisps as I find both repulsive (I know both of those are a huge problem for some people)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben_K)
    Not sure, but I seemed to be fine. I cut back on bread and fizzy drinks. Infact I only drank water. However as for my normal diet that remained the same and I ate the same quantity.

My diet however doesn't include chocolate or crisps as I find both repulsive (I know both of those are a huge problem for some people)
    How about exercise?

I dont snack much but I do have atleast a chocolate bar per week (much = more than 3 week), I haven't eaten crisps in 6 weeks. I also drink a lot more water than anything.

Do you mind me asking what weight you were before you lost because 2 stone is 6 weeks is an extremelly short period of time. I do hope to lose the 2 stone by the end of this year that I had in the beginning, so where I started I probably had 10lbs to lose.

ReputationRep:
    How about exercise?

I dont snack much but I do have atleast a chocolate bar per week (much = more than 3 week), I haven't eaten crisps in 6 weeks. I also drink a lot more water than anything.

Do you mind me asking what weight you were before you lost because 2 stone is 6 weeks is an extremelly short period of time. I do hope to lose the 2 stone by the end of this year that I had in the beginning, so where I started I probably had 10lbs to lose.
    I was 13, and moved down to 11 stone which i'm quite content with. I was given a treadmill and pretty much every day (with no rest, which I do advise as it's bad on your joints) i'd run 10 minutes - 50 minutes.

Before starting I couldn't run for even 1 minute. Now I can run relatively far (10k +)

When I began my goal wasn't to lose weight, it was to improve my stamina and with that weight loss came as a bonus. I find if I focus less on weight loss and more on stamina building I tend to lose more weight. Hope that helped.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.