Turn on thread page Beta

Should convicted criminals have eggs or stones throw at them? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    They're in a police car being taken to or from court, is it right or wrong that eggs, stones, or other objects are thrown at the car?

I think it's wrong because if they're shielded by a car they can't defend themselves, and a lot of the time it's gang mentality in vigilante justice. It also redirects the focus away from what crime they did (e.g. murder) and you begin to feel sympathy for them. It was like when Saddam Hussein was captured in 2003, he looked really weak and I did feel a bit sorry for him

For example, when the Jimmy Saville case was spoken about and the witch hunt on alleged pedophiles, a man had his balls cut off and shoved into his mouth, and then killed. People argue that he would have deserved it if he was a pedophile for inflicting it onto defenceless children. True, but it's brutal and doesn't allow any leeway, in case he was innocent.

Where can you draw the line between punishing criminals and going a step too far by harming or degrading those people?

ReputationRep:
    Well no... That's why it's illegal. However, it's a petty crime that will often go unpunished.

Having your balls cut off and then killed is mutilation & murder & will be treated as such by the police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    Well no... That's why it's illegal. However, it's a petty crime that will often go unpunished.

Having your balls cut off and then killed is mutilation & murder & will be treated as such by the police.
    I'm not asking about what the law says, i'm interested in whether it's wrong or right as an attitude or act, to teach criminals "a lesson" in this way.

ReputationRep:
    Bury bankers in a vat of money

ReputationRep:
    Retarded people should be allowed to make missiles using copies of the Daily Mail soaked in lager. A maximum of 5 throws to be allowed per retard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    I'm not asking about what the law says, i'm interested in whether it's wrong or right as an attitude or act, to teach criminals "a lesson" in this way.
    Oh, you want an ethical debate?

Well then there's no clear answer.

The behaviour can be argued for and against, depending on your 'moral personality'.

For example - if you are of the teleological viewpoint, you believe there is a complete and utter underlying rule of what is right and wrong, applicable to all situations at all times.

If you are of the deontological viewpoint, you believe moral standpoints are less rigid and can change depending on situations and places.

A Teleologist would say verbally & physically abusing a criminal at any time for any reason is wrong.

A deleologist would say there are certain circumstances for which abusing criminals would be the morally right thing to do.

Reasons for this abuse could be the severity of the crime and level of proven guilt, for example.

So to answer your question - I am deontological, so there are cicumstances in which I believe the abuse could be justified.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.