Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started an Event Management Degree with my local college September. i've recently finished in the merchant navy and I did 6 years from when I left school. I'm 22 now. I enjoy the lectures and the group size is so much smaller, but I am a little concerned about writing essays etc.

The college takes the degrees from Plymouth University, so it's not a proper university, and it's only 2 days a week. Can anyone give me some guidance on some good material for getting started? Being a chef I am very hands on, so certain academic aspects seem harder to me?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    This from Reading may be helpful:

http://www.reading.ac.uk/internal/st...elopessay.aspx

Good luck with your course

ReputationRep:
    Your uni may have some kind of help / guidance service where they post about how to write essays and stuff like that.

However failing that here is a link to an Australian (I think) university help page which was recommended to be my a lecturer. Its pretty good and has lots of samples so you can see what they mean.

ReputationRep:
    plan in sections just write down a quick plan under each section write down what questions you want to raise what points you want to make and remember to refrence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was given some basic advice on structuring an essay, which helped me when I started:

First paragraph: Introduction. Tell them what you're going to tell them. Show them that you've understood the question.

Main body: Tell them what you want to tell them and why it answers the question. Breaking it into sections with sub-headings can help with clarity.

Last paragraph: Conclusion. Tell them what you've just told them. Summarise your answer to the question.

Throughout: Reference properly. If you used info from a book or journal, put the short reference in the text and the long reference in a Bibliography or Reference List at the end. Your uni/college may have a preferred way of doing it and should be teaching you - if not, be proactive and ask. Referencing problems or omissions can lead to a zero mark and potentially, accusations of plagiarism. It's a pain to start with, but once you get the hang of it, correct referencing is easy percentages.

Finally 1: Read through the essay start to finish to check that it makes sense and you don't have things like accidental half sentences. Most importantly, make sure that what you've written answers the question.

Finally 2: Run a spellcheck. A quick way to avoid penalties.

Finally 3: Check the assignment brief for required font or line spacing. If your essay doesn't conform to those instructions, you can lose marks. It's an easy way to avoid a penalty. Don't assume the requirements will be the same as the last essay.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.