Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm only in my second year of university. I desperately want to be a history teacher when I leave.
    I know that PGCE courses are very competitive courses so I need to stand out from a crowd.
    I have no idea what the best way to go about this is...
    Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do in order to strengthen my application?

MANY THANKS,

x

ReputationRep:
    Are they? I thought there was a shortage.

I know it's a pretty obvious answer you already had but volunteering at a school or holding any position where you work with children/young people is going to put you in a very good spot, can't beat that. If you're too busy with your course to do that then look into summer camps and community projects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beatlesmania101)
    I'm only in my second year of university. I desperately want to be a history teacher when I leave.
    I know that PGCE courses are very competitive courses so I need to stand out from a crowd.
    Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do in order to strengthen my application?

MANY THANKS,

x
    History in particular is very competitive. I would get your application in as soon as they open next year. Write a stellar personal statement, make it very convincing about why you want to teach etc. Do lots of experience with secondary aged pupils (classroom and youth work based) and also do some primary experience in the upper years so you can see the transition they go through from ywar 6 to year 7.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beatlesmania101)

MANY THANKS,

x
    I am applying for a PGCE in History this year. When I finished uni I volunteered in the history department of a school once a week for about 5 months.
    Now I am working in a secondary school as a TA.

History is ridiculously competitive. The uni I want to get in to only has 12 places.
    Try to get into some schools volunteering and then apply throughout the summer after you finish uni for a TA position - it's much better than trying to volunteer and work at the same time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As much relevant experience as possible! I would even think about approaching museums or English Heritage (or something similar) to see if you can link up with their education department, it's worth just having a look anyway!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I would say get as much experience as you can in various different schools within there history departments. PGCE applications which are strong are those that have the experience behind them!

ReputationRep:
    I want to help students in their projects. Are any such place where you can connect with students who are seeking help on their projects.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.