Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have no-one to talk to about this at the moment, and really could do with some advice because it's a pretty big decision for me. I have been ill for the past two months. I think I'm finally getting better now gladly. Uni started two weeks ago, and I wasn't able to go in. My dept told me I have until 14/10 (this coming Monday) to return, or else I'll have to take a year off with LOA.

I am better, but not 100%. Two weeks may not sound like much to miss but I've just been looking over what I've to catch up on and I feel like crying. It's so overwhelming to see the amount of reading I have to catch up, and understand on my own because I missed the seminars and lectures for it. I don't think I can catch up in time for Monday. It's my final year so it is a big deal to do well.

I am worried that this will really impact my final mark. I am on track for a 2:1, but only just, meaning if I slightly slip this year I will probably get a 2:2 which I don't want to happen. All this is making me think I should take leave and just start fresh next year when I'm newly motivated and up to date.

However, I am feeling almost better now, which means I'll have basically a whole year with nothing to do. I just don't know how to fill that time and I had everything planned with applying for my PGCE and was looking forward to finishing uni. Having to wait a year is just agonising the thought gets me really down.

I just want some opinions. What would you do in my situation? I need to make my mind up soon, ideally over this weekend because I have a tonne of stuff to read by Monday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    However, I am feeling almost better now, which means I'll have basically a whole year with nothing to do. I just don't know how to fill that time and I had everything planned with applying for my PGCE and was looking forward to finishing uni. Having to wait a year is just agonising the thought gets me really down.

I just want some opinions. What would you do in my situation? I need to make my mind up soon, ideally over this weekend because I have a tonne of stuff to read by Monday.
    If you do take a leave of absence then consider getting a job- perhaps one relevant to doing the PGCE (e.g., classroom assistant).

What subject do you study? Depending on what it is you may get away with just ignoring the material that has been covered in the initial two weeks and focus on the upcoming material.

ReputationRep:
    Your health is really important, and being stressed won't help you recover. Missing early lectures can cause you to be unclear on things. I've just started third year, and a lot of our assignments were set and discussed in the first week. It does seem like a lot of catching up to do. However, just missing a few weeks shouldn't pull your grade down that much.

It seems a shame to miss the whole year on the basis of a few weeks, but you could make productive use of the time. As said, you could get a job which could help you secure a place on your PGCE. You could also do some volunteering or travelling if you wanted to.

I think the best thing to do might be to try and talk it over with someone at the university. Do you have a personal tutor who you could talk to? Or another person at the university? They will have had students in this situation before, and should be able to offer you some more personal advice.

If it was me, I think I'd try and finish third year this year, unless I thought doing so would have a negative impact on my health.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.