Turn on thread page Beta

Lyrical rappers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really into the stereotypical 'radio rap' as I find it a bit vacuous and it doesn't really do anything for me. Recently I've been looking for some more clever, lyrical rappers and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
    To give you an idea of what I mean two of my favourite lyrical rappers are MF Doom and Aesop Rock and stuff in a similar vein to this would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZuluJobo)
    I'm not really into the stereotypical 'radio rap' as I find it a bit vacuous and it doesn't really do anything for me. Recently I've been looking for some more clever, lyrical rappers and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
    To give you an idea of what I mean two of my favourite lyrical rappers are MF Doom and Aesop Rock and stuff in a similar vein to this would be great.
    El-P.

One of those guys you have to go on Rap Genius to decode the lyrics. Cannibal Ox & GZA are another two.

I'd recommend Fantastic Damage & Run The Jewels by El-P (the latter is with Killer Mike), The Cold Vein from Cannibal Ox and Liquid Swords from GZA. These are really obvious choices & there's more, but that should keep you going for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    YouTube Dr Octagon, he's really clever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    El-P.

One of those guys you have to go on Rap Genius to decode the lyrics. Cannibal Ox & GZA are another two.

I'd recommend Fantastic Damage & Run The Jewels by El-P (the latter is with Killer Mike), The Cold Vein from Cannibal Ox and Liquid Swords from GZA. These are really obvious choices & there's more, but that should keep you going for a bit.
    Mate I literally downloaded Run the Jewels a few days ago, it's genius. Can't believe they're giving it away for free. Thanks for the suggestions they should keep me busy for a while.

ReputationRep:
    Immortal technique

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZuluJobo)
    Mate I literally downloaded Run the Jewels a few days ago, it's genius. Can't believe they're giving it away for free. Thanks for the suggestions they should keep me busy for a while.
    lol it's good ain't it. Didn't know they gave it away, I got a 5 finger discount on it.

Forgot to say, Can Ox are a duo, and El-P produced their album. The production style on that is nothing like Run The Jewels though, it's sort of like 36 Chambers remade by someone on acid with a Sci-Fi influence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVeUQxi7960

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at CunninLynguists, CYNE and Tonedeff

Listen to the lyrics carefully, it's amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Lupe Fiasco

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    lol it's good ain't it. Didn't know they gave it away, I got a 5 finger discount on it.

Forgot to say, Can Ox are a duo, and El-P produced their album. The production style on that is nothing like Run The Jewels though, it's sort of like 36 Chambers remade by someone on acid with a Sci-Fi influence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVeUQxi7960
    it's got that RZA sound to it

ReputationRep:
    Mos def
    Common
    Rakim
    Nas
    Talib Kweli
    Method man
    MF doom and alter ego's
    krs one
    immortal technique
    lowkey

ReputationRep:
    Nas
    Lowkey
    Damian Marley
    Wu tang
    immortal technique
    Akala
    Black the ripper
    Logic
    Mos Def
    Common
    Big
    Krs
    Rakim
    Pac

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.