Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I had an assignment to do which the deadline for is today, on the brief it says maximum of 500 words and our lecturer told us we can't include much detail because the word count is only 500 words. When we have shown her our assignment today before submitting them to admin she has said they are too basic and need load more detail putting in, we have told her we stuck to the 500 word max which is what both her and the assignment brief say to which she replied ''No there is no word count, I only said that so you didn't submit 5000 word, you need to do at least double the amount you have done.''

The deadline for this assignment is today and we (as a group) are going to collectively get really poor marks because we haven't included enough detail or we have to at least double the assignment in the next 2 hours. We have been working on this assignment for weeks and it is worth about 20% of our final grade for the year. This goes for the rest of my group as well, some people have already submitted it at 500 words.

Also, if we double it what will happen when it is externally moderated and the brief says 500 words max but we have wrote 1000+ words?

I don't know what to do! Any advice would be great.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If it's externally moderated coursework then how come you are doing it in groups???? Can't you look it up on the exam board website? It should say the details of all the coursework and exams.

ReputationRep:
    We are not doing it in groups, I meant the rest of my class/course who have been all been told its 500 words max.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nic-nac)
    If it's externally moderated coursework then how come you are doing it in groups???? Can't you look it up on the exam board website? It should say the details of all the coursework and exams.

Its for an Access to HE Diploma, so I don't think we can look it up on the exam board website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jobsafish)
    We are not doing it in groups, I meant the rest of my class/course who have been all been told its 500 words max.
    (Original post by jobsafish)
    Its for an Access to HE Diploma, so I don't think we can look it up on the exam board website.
    oh ok, the way you worded it sounded as if you did it as a group. Isn't there an exam board and specification?? there should be !?!

ReputationRep:
    If the brief said 500 words, you could try to appeal it through the official channels in the hope of getting an extension.

Failing that, isn't there someone else you could take it up with?

ReputationRep:
    I have spoke to my tutor who has spoke to the lecturer - She has said it does say maximum of 500 words but it can be much more and to just hand it in as it is and there's to be no extension.

I'm so annoyed, if I had known it could be more I would have added alot more detail and gone into more depth, my grade is now going to be shocking.

ReputationRep:
    Surely there's someone with higher authority than the lecturer. What about the program director?

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know how I would go about speaking to them, especially after the lecturer has said there's not going to be an extension.
    Would I just ring and ask to speak to the Director of Access?

ReputationRep:
    Possibly, or you could try booking an appointment with them at reception. Alternatively, you could check if their email is on your school's website and send them an email about it.

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get an extension until Monday, I have now redone it in a lot more detail.The problem is, it is now 2000 words! Do you think this will be a problem? Surely if she is saying not to take note of the word count on the brief she cant then penalise me for going waaay over.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so make 2 versions.Since no-one seems to know the specification, keep the 200 word copy but also cut one copy down.

Bring both copies in but ask your tutor if 2000 is too much first. If it is, submit the one that you cut down. Alternatively, if 2000 words is fine, submit the 2000 word copy

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.