Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I study Maths, Further Maths and Physics for A Level.

AS Results

Maths - A
    C1: 91
    C2: 100
    S1: 70

Further Maths - C
    FP1: 98
    NM: 70
    D1: 38 ( Retaking this exam to get further maths AS to an A ).

Physics - B
    Unit 1: 102 ( out of 120, 96 for an A )
    ISA Unit 2: 32 ( out of 60 )
    Unit 3: 80 ( Out of 120, 96 for an A ).

My predictions are A*( Maths ), A( Further Maths ), B( Physics ).

GCSE's: 4 As, 2 Bs, 4 Cs ( Maths - A, Eng Lang - C )

Also my school a level results aren't very good probably D being the average, other people in my school have received contextual offers.

These are the uni's I want to apply to. Can I get some opinions on whether I stand a good chance of getting into the specific universities.

Kings College London - They ask for A*AA, however I am predicted A*AB. I could go and talk to my physics teacher about my prediction and whether I could get it changed to a A, I will have to retake unit 2 from last year to get an A in physics AS.

Warwick - A*AA + grade 2 in AEA or A*A*A + grade 1 in Step I.

I am also going to apply for Southampton + Surrey, but I'm pretty sure I stand a good chance for those two.

It is mostly that Physics prediction that is limiting my choices, do you think it is a good idea for me to go talk to my physics teacher and try to get it changed to an A ? That will leave me A*AA prediction allowing me to apply to KCL and Warwick but is that a smart decision?

ReputationRep:
    Any input?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Budskii)
    Any input?
    I think an A prediction for further maths from a C at AS will raise eyebrows a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    I think an A prediction for further maths from a C at AS will raise eyebrows a bit.
    well, I was 4 ums marks off a B. I am gonna retake D1 which I only got 38 UMS marks in to get a B which will give me an A in further maths AS.

ReputationRep:
    Any input?
    imo admissions tutors will probably think that the A prediction in further maths from a C at AS is unlikely even if you are resitting D1. I don't think you stand a very good chance of getting offers from KCL or warwick (unless you excel in the step papers)

Also I wouldn't feel as confident as you sound about getting an offer from southampton as their offer is AAA and don't forget a lot of people will be applying with A's in maths and FM in their AS year (higher chance than warwick/KCL but still a bit risky due to your AS further maths grade)

It won't be your physics B prediction that holds you back it will be more likely to be your C in further maths at AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    Also I wouldn't feel as confident as you sound about getting an offer from southampton as their offer is AAA and don't forget a lot of people will be applying with A's in maths and FM in their AS year (higher chance than warwick/KCL but still a bit risky due to your AS further maths grade)
    Oh .. i forgot they asked for AAA, thought they asked for AAB.

Well .. I will probably apply to bath too, they ask for A*AB + step.

For applicants taking both A-level Maths and Further Maths and STEP/AEA a typical offer is:

• obtain grades A* in Maths, A in Further Maths and B in one further A-level subject plus at least 2/Merit in one STEP/AEA Maths paper

But as you said admissions tutors might think the A from further maths might be unlikely. You said that unless I excel in step, I don't stand a good chance at KCL/Warwick, but isn't the step paper taken in June but the offers are given out before that .. so will I have to go through adjustment?

ReputationRep:
    This would depend on places being available at that point.

Many courses would be already full after Results Day confirmations and wont accept any more applicants. Despite what the 'no cap' on ABB+ applicants policy suggest, all Unis will still have limits on student numbers for each course because of practical things like the number of seats in lecture halls/staff teaching hours/library resources etc. Its therefore not a brilliant idea to rely on Adjustment for getting into the course you really want

For many people with dodgy AS results aiming at top Unis, the best advice is to simply wait until you have your A2 results and then apply for 2015, and have a Gap Year. No guesswork about grades, no notice taken of your AS grades etc. It also means you can spend this year concentrating totally on your A2 work to get the best possible grades instead of getting distracted by all the UCAS stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)

Many courses would be already full after Results Day confirmations and wont accept any more applicants. Despite what the 'no cap' on ABB+ applicants policy suggest, all Unis will still have limits on student numbers for each course because of practical things like the number of seats in lecture halls/staff teaching hours/library resources etc. Its therefore not a brilliant idea to rely on Adjustment for getting into the course you really want

For many people with dodgy AS results aiming at top Unis, the best advice is to simply wait until you have your A2 results and then apply for 2015, and have a Gap Year. No guesswork about grades, no notice taken of your AS grades etc. It also means you can spend this year concentrating totally on your A2 work to get the best possible grades instead of getting distracted by all the UCAS stuff.
    Very much this :ditto: could be your best plan for top unis

but also

In the case of maths or heavily maths orientated courses a lot of places will be unhappy about you taking a gap year unless you do something to show that you are still using maths skills within that time. Maybe you could do some extra mathematically heavy type qualification and get a part time job?

ReputationRep:
    well, I was 4 ums marks off a B. I am gonna retake D1 which I only got 38 UMS marks in to get a B which will give me an A in further maths AS.
    I still think this is a high prediction. 4 marks off a B is not 4 marks off an A. Unless your referee can explain in your reference why they are predicting you 2 grades up from your actual achieved grade, it will not look convincing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    I still think this is a high prediction. 4 marks off a B is not 4 marks off an A. Unless your referee can explain in your reference why they are predicting you 2 grades up from your actual achieved grade, it will not look convincing.
    Ok, Thanks for the tip! I will make sure to talk to my referee about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)

Thanks for the input, everything you said does make perfect sense. But I really don't like the idea of a gap year. Well all I can do is hope for the best, If i'm lucky maybe i'll get an offer from kings. I'll probably follow your advice if I don't get an offer from kings or some other good uni. What about an A prediction from physics? an A in physics is definitely doable but I would then have to retake a unit from last year, would it benefit me? Or I could stick with A*AB and offer STEP I/AEA ?

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.