Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering of previous experience of how it is taught, the extra work you would have to do and how different is it to A-level maths. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Anybody have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    well there's loads of threads covering this so just do a forum search (probably why you haven't got many replies)

Different to A-level (though I did Advanced Higher so I can't comment on specifics): more proof, emphasis on correct working and style, much less "here's a formula now go use it"

Taught: depends but I've noticed the higher up the degree I go the less proper tutorials (sit down, all go through the questions as a class) and more informal tutorials where you just ask questions when necessary and do the work there. Otherwise pretty standard lectures though you often don't need to buy textbooks as course notes are usually comprehensive and there is little compulsory outside reading (though always a good idea if you get stuck)

Extra work: depends on the person. If you wanna get a first and your not a natural you'll need to spend a couple of hours a day per lecture (so 4-8 total) going over that days lectures, doing tutorials etc. Otherwise it's whatever balance you have between natural ability and work ethic that will determine your grades. I got an A2 at advanced higher (equivalent to an A at a-level) and i'm on a solid 2:1 atm and I do a moderate amount of work (average 2 hours a day) a lot of people do less and a lot do way more it's down to personal preference, needs and goals. In terms of workload you'll probs get weekly or bi-weekly tutorial sheets that you should complete and that's it. Some courses may have coursework which is usually a problem sheet though it may be a bigger project (esp if you're taking a computing or stats module).

That's my personal experience at St Andrews but this all depends on the uni and course.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 14, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.