The Student Room Group

I'm Wonderful and I'm Single Society XX

Scroll to see replies

Original post by incipientT
Sorry to hear, I'm studying part time atm, so I didn't really do the whole freshers thing myself.

I'm currently doing an access course at Aberdeen uni to allow me to do a computing degree next year :smile: Yourself? I have a feeling I may have asked you that already :colondollar:

And TSRing :tongue:

Ah nice :smile: what learning some nice programming skills then? I figured I'd go to fresher's to make more friends (which I kinda did) seeming as I fell out with the people I hung out with last year...

I'm doing Physics at Oxford :smile:
Original post by Serano
Computing degree? Is thatl ike coding :confused:

Original post by natninja
Ah nice :smile: what learning some nice programming skills then? I figured I'd go to fresher's to make more friends (which I kinda did) seeming as I fell out with the people I hung out with last year...

I'm doing Physics at Oxford :smile:

It covers programming :yep:

Sounds like a good plan :smile: What happened last year, if you don't mind me asking?

Cool :smile:
It covers programming :yep:

Sounds like a good plan :smile: What happened last year, if you don't mind me asking?

Cool :smile:

Ooh which languages you do?

Ah, lots of things, for the most part just got fed up with them... also, my ex and I were both part of the same friendship group and as we got closer we spent less and less time with them and drifted away from them - then we broke up... but she has a whole bunch of friends from rowing, I'm a musician but as a non-music student I get kinda sidelined there... they very literally only want to talk about classical music... not even kidding!
Reply 243

Ah, lots of things, for the most part just got fed up with them... also, my ex and I were both part of the same friendship group and as we got closer we spent less and less time with them and drifted away from them - then we broke up... but she has a whole bunch of friends from rowing, I'm a musician but as a non-music student I get kinda sidelined there... they very literally only want to talk about classical music... not even kidding!

Bach or Beethoven?! :frown:
Original post by Serano
Bach or Beethoven?! :frown:

Pleas don't force me to choose between those two... Bach or Mozart would be easier or Mozart and Beethoven (Mozart loses both). While Beethoven for orchestral music and Bach for choral works - though his motet Lobet den Herrn is bloody irritating (nothing to do with having had to sing it 20 times in 10 days on choir tour...)

I'm not sure which languages the course will be covering, probably C or java at a guess. I'm not really sure how many languages I know anymore...

:console: Hope you make plenty of new friends soon :smile:

Surely they've got to talk about something else sometime? :eek:
I'm not sure which languages the course will be covering, probably C or java at a guess. I'm not really sure how many languages I know anymore...

:console: Hope you make plenty of new friends soon :smile:

Surely they've got to talk about something else sometime? :eek:

Ooh would be quite unusual to cover C (it's a great language but a lot of courses seem not to do it because it is 'hard'...)

Ah thanks :smile: I have don't worry :smile: off to play badminton now :smile:

erm... I haven't heard them discuss much else yet... oh yes, politics, religion and philosophy... really not my thing XD
Ooh would be quite unusual to cover C (it's a great language but a lot of courses seem not to do it because it is 'hard'...)

Ah thanks :smile: I have don't worry :smile: off to play badminton now :smile:

erm... I haven't heard them discuss much else yet... oh yes, politics, religion and philosophy... really not my thing XD

Really? huh, didn't seem any harder than java really...

Enjoy :biggrin:

Religion I can talk about sometimes :smile:
So instead of working I've blasted music, had lunch, watched F1 and clean the whole bathroom.

Hmm I guess the last 3 hours haven't been a complete waste then..definitely will start work soon though ~_~
Really? huh, didn't seem any harder than java really...

Enjoy :biggrin:

Religion I can talk about sometimes :smile:

I suppose if it's all new they all seem as hard as each other! except assembler.... assembler is - and there is no other way to put it - a bitch...

Ah well I can talk about religion - but not as much as them... they have to read books on it as part of their course :tongue:
I suppose if it's all new they all seem as hard as each other! except assembler.... assembler is - and there is no other way to put it - a bitch...

Ah well I can talk about religion - but not as much as them... they have to read books on it as part of their course :tongue:

I actually learned C much later than java and I still prefer it (or at least the Object Oriented variants of it) :dontknow: I've not done much of anything in assembly, it mostly just seems to be tedious...

I don't think I'd like doing that :afraid:
I actually learned C much later than java and I still prefer it (or at least the Object Oriented variants of it) :dontknow: I've not done much of anything in assembly, it mostly just seems to be tedious...

I don't think I'd like doing that :afraid:

You've done NesC?!? though C# and C++ are C based they are much easier than vanilla C (which can be fairly tedious... about 95% of firmware is written in C though)
You've done NesC?!? though C# and C++ are C based they are much easier than vanilla C (which can be fairly tedious... about 95% of firmware is written in C though)

No...?

Really? It's been a while since I've used any of the 'C' languages, but as I don't recall any major inconveniences?
Reply 253
Afternoon all
No...?

Really? It's been a while since I've used any of the 'C' languages, but as I don't recall any major inconveniences?

Ah right... well C++ and C# are both completely different to C (writing object oriented code in C is nigh on impossible and writing GUIs in it is a real nightmare...) but it's great for quick and efficient code - each function is just a set of assembler macros whereas in C++ or C# functions will be a collection of C functions... C is great for manipulating things at the bit level though :smile:
Reply 255
Ah right... well C++ and C# are both completely different to C (writing object oriented code in C is nigh on impossible and writing GUIs in it is a real nightmare...) but it's great for quick and efficient code - each function is just a set of assembler macros whereas in C++ or C# functions will be a collection of C functions... C is great for manipulating things at the bit level though :smile:

LOL talking about programming languages :smile: i know C and C++ there is only one difference (i can see anyway) about them, C++ has classes, which make programmes SO MUCH neater and more efficent

I've never tried writing a GUI in it, that could explain much. The only times I've used it I always used a command line :smile:
Reply 257
I've never tried writing a GUI in it, that could explain much. The only times I've used it I always used a command line :smile:

There are external programmes for making GUI's for most languages, although GUI making can be done in C++ i've seen many of my course mates produce a game GUI
Original post by Tcrumpen
There are external programmes for making GUI's for most languages, although GUI making can be done in C++ i've seen many of my course mates produce a game GUI

How complicated a game are we talking about here? :curious:

I generally try to avoid writing GUIs. I know they're convenient for using, but I just hate writing them for some reason :dontknow:
Reply 259
How complicated a game are we talking about here? :curious:

I generally try to avoid writing GUIs. I know they're convenient for using, but I just hate writing them for some reason :dontknow:

Was a basic 2D platformer game, we don't have the time avaialbe to go the whole 3D route, as that requires knowleadge of DirectX most of the time, i havne't written an actual GUI myself i've used generating software for it (as it you drag and drop the icons and the coding in done behind the scenes)

Quick Reply

Latest