The Student Room Group

UMS to be predicted an A*

I've been predicted AAA, was a little disappointed. I had 88% overall (100% unit one and 76% in unit 2) in Geography, so expected the A and my History was fair too. In English I got 91.5% overall and I've been predicted an A! Even though I had 100% in one unit and am over 90 UMS they've predicted an A - am worried this will affect my likelihood of getting in to the universities I want.

What UMS did you need at your school to be predicted an A* - want to see whether it is likely to be worth asking them if they can change it?

Scroll to see replies

At my school, you need 90% to be predicted an A*, but even then it depends on the teacher. For example, I know someone who got slightly lower than this but her teacher told her to go for the A* anyway. I also know someone who got 97% overall and has been predicted an A.
Sometimes if you explain you're applying to Oxbridge they might up your predicted grade (e.g., C to A, instead of C to B).

Have they explained why they haven't predicted you the grade you want? If you really need it, you should definitely ask them if they can change it!
Reply 2
I don't know about your case, but >90% should be an A*.
It's not a massive problem. A lot of schools over-predict their students' grades and universities are well aware of this and therefore draw conclusions based on previous grades achieved, not just predicted grades.

But if you can, try and have a chat with your teachers/referee and ask if they can predict you an A*. 90%+ typically warrants an A*.

Where are you applying and what for?
Original post by Scratchyjam
It's not a massive problem. A lot of schools over-predict their students' grades and universities are well aware of this and therefore draw conclusions based on previous grades achieved, not just predicted grades.

But if you can, try and have a chat with your teachers/referee and ask if they can predict you an A*. 90%+ typically warrants an A*.

Where are you applying and what for?

Durham, Sheffield, Lancaster and Newcastle for History.
Reply 5
Original post by goodmorningworld
I've been predicted AAA, was a little disappointed. I had 88% overall (100% unit one and 76% in unit 2) in Geography, so expected the A and my History was fair too. In English I got 91.5% overall and I've been predicted an A! Even though I had 100% in one unit and am over 90 UMS they've predicted an A - am worried this will affect my likelihood of getting in to the universities I want.

What UMS did you need at your school to be predicted an A* - want to see whether it is likely to be worth asking them if they can change it?
You should definitely talk to your teachers. 91% easily warrants an A* because that's what it would have been if A*s were given out at AS level.
Durham, Sheffield, Lancaster and Newcastle for History.

First choice being Durham, yes?
Original post by Scratchyjam
First choice being Durham, yes?

Yep, is the a* prediction really important then?
If anything not being predicted an A* should make you work harder for it?
Reply 9

Ask your referee to mention your UMS on your reference. That should be enough.

I dunno what exam board you're on but on AQA, unit 1 is worth a lottt more UMS than unit 2 so having 100% on unit 1 and 76% on unit 2 would be over 90% total UMS. Might not be the same on your exam board though.
Yep, is the a* prediction really important then?

They may require an A*, and even if they don't it's a fairly competitive uni and so the A* would definitely help :smile:
Original post by BayHarborButcher
I dunno what exam board you're on but on AQA, unit 1 is worth a lottt more UMS than unit 2 so having 100% on unit 1 and 76% on unit 2 would be over 90% total UMS. Might not be the same on your exam board though.

On OCR it's 50-50 sadly - I had more revision time for Unit 2, was one of my later exams after my most stressful subject was done, and it shows :colondollar:
Original post by Guren
If anything not being predicted an A* should make you work harder for it?

I'm working extra hard this year anyway, it's just that universities won't see that - they just see the cold hard data when they're deciding whether to make an offer... No interviews for my subject where I'm applying (History).
Original post by dragonkeeper999
They may require an A*, and even if they don't it's a fairly competitive uni and so the A* would definitely help :smile:

They do require the A*, am going to see both my English and Geography teachers on Monday and see what they say; have extra work I've been doing out of class to prove I'm working hard - will see what they say.
Reply 15
I'm kind of in the same situation as you... I got 92% In Biology and was predicted an A, and then the crazy one. I got 100% over the whole of AS geography and was still only predicted an A, it's kind of stupid and I'm waiting till Monday to have a word with my head of sixth form to push it up.
They do require the A*, am going to see both my English and Geography teachers on Monday and see what they say; have extra work I've been doing out of class to prove I'm working hard - will see what they say.

In which case you really need to be predicted that A* - definitely explain the situation to your teachers :smile:
Original post by dragonkeeper999
In which case you really need to be predicted that A* - definitely explain the situation to your teachers :smile:

Thanks for your advice, will go and see them on Monday (have already seen someone in sixth form about it) and hopefully that will work :smile:
I'm working extra hard this year anyway, it's just that universities won't see that - they just see the cold hard data when they're deciding whether to make an offer... No interviews for my subject where I'm applying (History).

Yes but then apply again next year.
On OCR it's 50-50 sadly - I had more revision time for Unit 2, was one of my later exams after my most stressful subject was done, and it shows :colondollar:

ahhhh alright then, an A is right then I guess (by my schools policy) :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest