Turn on thread page Beta

VM199 - World Trade Organisation Negotiations watch

• View Poll Results: Do you agree with this motion?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    70.27%
    On the contrary, No
    10.81%
    Abstain
    18.92%

• Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    VM199 - World Trade Organisation Negotiations, TSR Government
    This House believes that the Doha round of WTO negotiations should be terminated and a successor chosen for a new round of negotiations.

This House believes that the current round of trade negotiations which began in Doha in 2001 have proven inadequate due to disagreements between parties such as the EU, USA and China, as a result it has failed to reach any consensus or conclusion in 12 years. This House believes that the agenda of the Doha round of negotiations is now outdated and that little progress will be made as evidenced by the failure to bring the parties back to the table since 2008.

This House believes that a new round of negotiations should take place and more current issues can be debated.

http://ips.org.pk/eventsupdates/what...a.html?start=3
    http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dda_e/dda_e.htm
    http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Doha_rou...otiations_fail
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doha_De...t_Round#Issues

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Round#Rounds
    Notes
    This motion is intended to provide the Chancellor and Foreign Secretary with a mandate from parliament to push this agenda in the MUN.

ReputationRep:
    Nay, seems utterly pointless to me and as nobody could be bothered to answer my post saying that in the reading I see no reason to vote for this.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    An excellent motion that will revitalise and modernise ineffective trade negotiations, benefiting Britain and the global economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    An excellent motion that will revitalise and modernise ineffective trade negotiations, benefiting Britain and the global economy.
    China: Britain who?
    USA: lol Britain nobody listens to them

and everything stays the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNew)

I know right? Who's going to be listening to the 7th largest economy in the world?

I doubt USA will remotely care about the opinions of their 6th biggest trading partner, who contribute $110bn to their economy every year. It's entirely understandable also that China doesn't know who the UK are, how would they know about an important member of their largest trading partner, the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donniee)
    I know right? Who's going to be listening to the 7th largest economy in the world?

I doubt USA will remotely care about the opinions of their 6th biggest trading partner, who contribute $110bn to their economy every year. It's entirely understandable also that China doesn't know who the UK are, how would they know about an important member of their largest trading partner, the EU.
    If Britain suddenly ceased to exist how would it affect the world? I don't think much would change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNew)
    If Britain suddenly ceased to exist how would it affect the world? I don't think much would change.
    A truly inspiring comment from a minister of parliament! Even if it was like you said, it's our job to try and make the world a better place for all, especially for ourselves. Surely an attempt at improving world trade is better than no attempt at all? What do we have to lose?

ReputationRep:
    A truly inspiring comment from a minister of parliament! Even if it was like you said, it's our job to try and make the world a better place for all, especially for ourselves. Surely an attempt at improving world trade is better than no attempt at all? What do we have to lose?
    We don't want trade isolationism and protectionism is the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNew)
    We don't want trade isolationism and protectionism is the way forward.
    You can't be against trade isolationism but think protectionism is the way forward, that doesn't make sense in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    This seems incomplete to me. I agree that the current system isn't working, but the faults in it have not been clearly identified, only with the vague term 'outdated'. How can we ensure that we won't just be migrating the same faulty principles of the negotiations to a different background? Abstain.

ReputationRep:
    You can't be against trade isolationism but think protectionism is the way forward, that doesn't make sense in the slightest.
    We don't want trade, isolationism and protectionism is the way forward. I swear I am the only person in the world with enough brain power to imagine where commas go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNew)

Yeah, why would anyone care about one of the 8 biggest economies in the world?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The Ayes to the right: 26
    The Noes to the left: 4
    Abstentions: 7

So the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2013
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.